Fort Lauderdale CF Falls 3-0 on the Road against North Texas SC
Fort Lauderdale CF fell 3-0 on the road against reigning USL League One Champions North Texas SC. The match at Globe Life Park kicked off at 6:30 p.m. ET and aired live on ESPN+.
Fort Lauderdale CF began the match with two-first time starters, as 16-year-old Academy product left back Noah Allen and 18-year-old versatile midfielder Jason Bucknor, both of whom are Academy products, entered the starting XI. It was Noah's professional debut and his first appearance for the team, while Bucknor had made eight substitute appearances.
It was a close first half with few attacking opportunities for both sides. Most notably, Fort Lauderdale goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira made two key interventions to keep the hosts scoreless before the half. First, in the 13th minute, Castanheira made a diving save to keep out a right-footed shot by North Texas' Ronaldo Damus from the edge of the box. Then, in the 42nd minute, he made another diving save to stop an attempt from inside the box to send the match into the break with a 0-0 stalemate on the scoreline.
North Texas SC opened the scoring early on in the second half. In the 57th minute, striker Damus controlled a cross delivered into the box from the left side of the pitch before finishing the play with a left-footed strike that found the back of the net to give his team a 1-0 lead. The hosts then extended their lead in the 80th minute through a goal by midfielder Arturo RodrÃguez and in the 89th minute with Damus' second goal of the night. In the end, North Texas won the match 3-0.
Fort Lauderdale CF will continue its inaugural season on Friday, Oct. 9, when the team travels to Foxborough, MA., to take on the New England Revolution II at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from October 3, 2020
- Forward Madison FC and FC Tucson Draw - FC Tucson
- Owls Fly Past Tormenta FC 3-0 and Reclaim Second Place - Union Omaha
- Triumph Clinch Spot in League One Final - Greenville Triumph SC
- Revolution II Defeats Richmond Kickers, 4-0 - New England Revolution II
- Tormenta FC Falls on the Road to Omaha - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Forward Madison Held to Draw at Home in Tucson Rematch - Forward Madison FC
- Kickers Suffer Home Defeat to New England - Richmond Kickers
- Fort Lauderdale CF Falls 3-0 on the Road against North Texas SC - Fort Lauderdale CF
- North Texas SC Defeats Fort Lauderdale CF 3-0 at Globe Life Park - North Texas SC
- Matchday Scouting Report: Forward Madison FC - FC Tucson
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - October 3, 2020 - USL1
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Lauderdale CF Stories
- Fort Lauderdale CF Claims First Victory of the 2021 Season, Defeats Tormenta on the Road
- Match Preview: Fort Lauderdale Cf to Visit South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Sami Guediri from Fort Lauderdale CF
- Fort Lauderdale CF Kicks off 2021 USL League One Season, Falls 0-1 to New England Revolution II
- Fort Lauderdale CF to Host New England Revolution II in 2021 USL League One Season Opener