Former Bear Cook Back in the Bigs
The Arizona Diamondbacks announced moves on the Major League roster, including the promotion of former Bears right-handed pitcher Ryan Cook to the big league squad.
Cook made his Major League debut with the Diamondbacks and gave up four earned runs on two hits and two walks in just one inning of the work earlier this season. After struggling with the D-backs, the 24 year-old was sent back to the minor leagues.
Cook started his professional career with the Yakima Bears after being selected in the 27th round of the 2008 Draft out of USC. Cook started seven games for the Bears and went 2-2 with a 4.64 ERA in 2008.
This year in the minors, Cook has 13 saves, 52 strikeouts in 46 and two thirds innings, and a 2.12 ERA in 36 relief appearances between Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno.
Cook, a native of Clovis, California, will join the Diamondbacks in Los Angeles for a series against the Dodgers.
The Diamondbacks also bolstered the Major League roster by trading former Bears shortstop Zach Walters to the Washington Nationals for Major League veteran pitcher Jason Marquis. Walters, who hit .302 with 26 extra-base hits and 14 steals for the Bears last season, was batting .302 with 42 extra-base hits this year for the Single-A South Bend Silverhawks.
Mini plans and individual game tickets are on sale now to see the current crop of Yakima Bears. Tickets can be purchased at the downtown Bears office at 17 N. 3rd Street, Suite 101 and online at yakimabears.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 30, 2011
- Former Bear Cook Back in the Bigs - Yakima Bears
- Tickets for Tonight's Fireworks Night Sold Out - Spokane Indians
- Volcanoes' Cancer Awareness Adds Event - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Bears give Volcanoes victory - Yakima Bears
- Dust Devils' Winning Streak Snapped in 9-5 Loss - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Vancouver pounds out 15 hits en route to first win of second half of NWL season - Vancouver Canadians
- Emeralds Outshine Indians 8-4 in Front of Sellout Crowd - Spokane Indians
- Starter Dominates As Sox Even 2nd Half Record - Everett AquaSox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.