Forge FC Signs Canadian Defender Kwame Awuah
Forge FC announced Tuesday the club has signed Canadian international defender Kwame Awuah to a multi-year contract.
"Kwame is an excellent addition to our team and league. On the field he is exactly what we want in a player - technically gifted on the ball, quick off the ball and a high level IQ for the game," said Bobby Smyrniotis, Technical Director and Head Coach of Forge FC. "At a young age he will bring a very good level of experience from his time with New York City FC and also our national teams. We look forward to his exciting style of play and the additional dimension it will bring to our game."
Awuah, 23, spent the last two seasons (2017-18) with Major League Soccer's New York City FC after being drafted by their former coach Patrick Viera in the first round, 16th overall, in the 2017 MLS Draft. The 5-7, 160-pound native of Toronto, Ontario has also represented Canada at the youth and senior level, most recently serving on the provisional squad for the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States.
Awuah attended the University of Connecticut from 2013 to 2016, starting in all but one of his 83 appearances with the Huskies while registering eight goals and 26 assists. The two-time American Athletic Conference First Team selection (2015, 2016) was also the AAC Co-Midfielder of the Year in 2015, named to AAC Honor Roll in 2014, and was selected to the AAC All-Rookie Team in 2013. Awuah is a graduate from Sigma FC academy, where he last played in 2016 and earned selection to the League1 Ontario Western Conference All-Star Team.
Forge FC will kick off the inaugural CPL season in April 2019. For season ticket information, please visit www.forgefootball.club.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from January 29, 2019
- Canadian Premier League Announces Inaugural Match for 2019 Season - CPL
- Forge FC and Tim Hortons Field to Host Inaugural Canadian Premier League Match - Forge FC
- Forge FC Signs Canadian Defender Kwame Awuah - Forge FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Forge FC Stories
- Forge FC to Host First Leg of 2019 CPL Finals on October 26 at Tim Hortons Field
- Forge FC Signs Midfielder Stoddart and Defender Oyegunle
- Forge FC Signs Goalkeeper Iacobellis to Developmental Contract
- 'I Belong Here': from Goalkeeper to Army Hopeful, Novak Now Calls Forge Home
- 'Make the Most of It': Forge Take Continental Defeat in Stride