Forge FC Attacker Kevaughn Tavernier Earns U-17 Canadian Men's National Team Call Up
Forge FC attacker Kevaughn Tavernier has been called up to Canada's U-17 men's national team for the upcoming friendly series in Brazil. This will be the first time the 17 year old represents Canada at the international level. Tavernier will join Canada for a two-match international series against defending FIFA U-17 World Cup champions Brazil. The friendlies are set for September 29, 2023 and October 1, 2023 in São Paulo.
These matches mark the next step for Canada's squad on the road to the 2023 FIFA U-17 World Cup, which will be hosted in Indonesia from November 10, 2023 to December 2, 2023. Canada qualified for the biennial tournament through the Concacaf Under-17 Championship in February in Guatemala. This will be the first FIFA U-17 World Cup since before the global pandemic when Canada and Brazil faced each other in the group phase on the opening day in Gama at Brazil 2019. The hosts Brazil won the tournament three weeks later at the same stadium.
Tavernier signed a development contract with Forge FC on June 25, 2023 going on to make his first appearance with the club on September 9, 2023 against Cavalry FC and his first professional start on September 17, 2023 versus Valour FC.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from September 18, 2023
- Late Score Costs Atlético Ottawa in Delayed Match - Atletico Ottawa
- Forge FC Attacker Kevaughn Tavernier Earns U-17 Canadian Men's National Team Call Up - Forge FC
- Vancouver FC Midfielder Taryck 'TJ' Tahid Answers Canada Call - Vancouver FC
- MATCH Preview: Halifax Wanderers vs. Atlético Ottawa - Atletico Ottawa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.