Fire seek Arena Cup revenge against the Xplorers
Louisville, KY - This week the Louisville Fire (7-5) host the Memphis Xplorers (9-4) for an Arena Cup rematch as the Fire look to sustain their momentum for a post-season push. This season QB Brett Dietz, 127.6 percent passer efficiency rating - 71.1 pass completion percentage, has been getting the job done week in and week out. Dietz will continue to zero in on his favorite targets WR Rob Mager and WR Lance Taylor.
Mager continues to contribute to his record breaking season leading the league with 1558 reception yards and 44 receiving touchdowns. Taylor is also doing his part adding an average of 15 points per game. The Fire are the only team in the af2 that can boast about having two of the highest scorers ranked in the top ten.
The Xplorers are also looking to build on their successful season with the double threat of QB Brian Jones, 125.9 passer efficiency rating - 68.2 pass completion percentage. Jones in not only ranked in the top ten, behind Dietz, in passer efficiency rating but also fourth in the league in rushing. Jones also is tied for ninth place in the league in interceptions thrown with nine. This may bode well for the Fire and DS Jeremy Chandler who is currently tied for eighth place in the league for interceptions. Fire DS Kabota Siykala could also be a factor in turnovers with six interceptions and one touchdown so far this season. The Fire will also have their hands full with WR Kenny Higgins, 1269 receiving yards - 23 touchdowns.
In addition to the outstanding on field match-ups this game will feature two old friends on the coaching sidelines in Fire head coach Tommy Johnson and Xplorers head coach Danton Barto. Johnson and Barto were teammates on the 1988 Class 5-A FHSAA State Championship team at Niceville High School in Niceville, Florida. (A picture of Johnson and Barto at least seasons ArenaCup is attached).
This contest between the Fire and the Xplorers marks the eighth time, including last year's championship game, these two teams have met. The Xplorers lead the all-time series against the Fire 5-2. The game will kick-off at 7:00 P.M. and the Indianapolis Colts cheerleaders and players will be on hand during the game.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 6, 2006
- Fire seek Arena Cup revenge against the Xplorers - Louisville Fire
- Blitz Sign New Backup QB Ryan Porter - Bakersfield Blitz
- Memphis Xplorers game notes - Memphis Xplorers
- Rio Grande Valley Dorados game notes - Rio Grande Valley Dorados
- Quad City Steamwheelers game notes - Quad City Steamwheelers
- af2 Friday night matchup - af2
- Xplorers face the Fire in ArenaCup rematch - Memphis Xplorers
- The Fire Wire - Louisville Fire
- af2 week 15 quick hitters - af2
- OL/DL Jerry Turner will be a guest on the "Coach's Corner" - Bakersfield Blitz
- Volves' July 14th battle to feature Wildcats both on and off the field - Manchester Wolves
- Former Wolves' dancer needs your vote - Manchester Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.