Fifth-inning struggles cost Bears the game
The Yakima Bears lost the opening game of a five-game series at Everett Memorial Stadium in Everett, Washington 6-2 to the Everett Aquasox. The AquaSox have now won five of the six meetings between the two teams this season.
After four scoreless innings for both teams, Steven Rodriguez hit a solo home run in the top of the fifth inning to put the Bears in front 1-0. That lead didn't last long, as the AquaSox scored four runs in the fifth on an error and four hits, including a pair of key doubles that plated three of the runs. The AquaSox added two more runs in the sixth inning, as a triple drove in the first run and a RBI single followed. The Bears got another solo home run in the seventh inning, this one from Jacob House, to move the score to a 6-2 Everett lead. The Bears failed to reach base in the final two trips to the plate.
Bears starting pitcher Derrick Stultz stranded five batters in three scoreless innings to start, and then had a 1-2-3 fourth. Stutlz struggled in the fifth, recording only one out. After four and a third innings of work, Stultz, who took the loss, gave up three earned runs and four runs total on eight hits. Reliever RJ Hively gave up two runs on four hits in one and two thirds innings. Blake Forslund finished the game with a pair of scoreless frames.
The Bears were outhit by the AquaSox 12-4. Steven Rodriguez went 2-for-3 with a double and his first professional home run.
The Bears have now dropped back-to-back games. The series in Everett continues Thursday with a 7:05 game against the AquaSox. Right-handed pitcher Kyle Owings of the Bears is expected to face right-handed pitcher Marco Reyna of the AquaSox.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 23, 2012
- Bears Fans Donate to Fire Victims - Yakima Bears
- Vancouver falls 11-6 to Hawks in front of sold out Scotiabank Field - Vancouver Canadians
- Boise wins 11-6 over Canadians - Boise Hawks
- Jones Delivers in Dust Devils' Win - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Dececco Leads Frogs over Bears, 6-2 - Everett AquaSox
- Indians Bats Silent in 3-0 Loss to Salem-Keizer - Spokane Indians
- Fifth-inning struggles cost Bears the game - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.