FC Montreal Loses 2-1 in Pittsburgh
PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania - FC Montreal lost 2-1 against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds on Saturday night at Highmark Stadium.
The Riverhounds were the first to score in the game. Jack Thompson passed to Kevin Kerr behind the Montreal defence. Kerr, alone against goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau, scored with a shot in the top of the net in the 18th minute.
Montreal equalized in the 26th minute, when forward Anthony Jackson-Hamel took advantage of a bad control from the defender to steal the ball from him and take a low shot into the right corner from outside of the box. This was his second goal in two USL games this season.
Pittsburgh took the lead right back in the 27th minute. On a deep clearance, Corey Hertzog's first touch put him in a good position in the box before he scored with a shot in the top of the net.
In the 62nd minute, Alessandro Riggi passed from the right flank to Mastanabal Kacher, who was in a good position in front of the net. The defender put his body in front of him to block the shot.
"We had a bad first half, although we had a better second one," said head coach Philippe Eullaffroy. "We deserved at least a point in this game. We hope to go to Harrisburg and take back the points that we dropped."
"The first half wasn't good enough," said Maxime Crepeau. "We keep making the same mistakes. There's always a lack of attention or focus that means that we miss the plays. We're in a men's league, and we need to play like men to go and get results. It's frustrating because we have a better team than our opponents, but when the time comes to make a move, we don't do it. It's all in the execution."
FC Montreal will play its next game on Tuesday, June 21, at 7pm, against the Harrisburg City Islanders at FNB Field to end its series of four away games in 11 days. The team will be back at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex on Sunday, June 26, at 3pm to face Orlando City B.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 18, 2016
- FC Montreal Loses 2-1 in Pittsburgh - FC Montreal
- Swope Park Rangers Fall 3-1 to OKC Energy FC - Sporting Kansas City II
- Switchbacks Unbeaten Streak Ends with 2-1 Loss to San Antonio - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Points After 2-1 Win over Colorado Springs - San Antonio FC
- Late Penalty Kick Pushes Charleston Past City Islanders - Penn FC
- Second-Half Finish Extends FCC Unbeaten Streak to Nine - FC Cincinnati
- Charlotte Independence Earn All 3 Points Versus Richmond Kickers - Charlotte Independence
- Kerr and Hertzog Power Hounds Past FC Montreal, 2-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Kickers Remain Winless on the Road Following Defeat to Independence - Richmond Kickers
- Louisville City FC Topples Rochester, Extends Unbeaten Streak - Louisville City FC
- Rhinos 24 Game Unbeaten Streak Comes To An End - Rochester Rhinos
- OCB Looks to Continue Winning Streak vs. New York Red Bulls II - Orlando City B
- No More Ties: Whitecaps FC 2 Target Three Points against Rival Timbers 2 on Father's Day - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Preview: City Islanders Return to USL Play in Charleston Tonight - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Montreal Stories
- FC Montreal Loses 3-1 in Its Last Game of the Season against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Ends 2016 USL Season this Saturday against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Loses 4-0 against the Red Bulls
- FC Montreal Visits Red Bulls II on Saturday
- FC Montreal Hosts the Charleston Battery this Wednesday