FC Montreal Loses 4-0 against the Red Bulls
HARRISON, New Jersey - FC Montreal lost 4-0 Saturday night against the New York Red Bulls II, already crowned USL champions of the regular season, Saturday night, at the Red Bull Arena.
David Najem, Florian Valot, Derrick Etienne and Stefano Bonomo scored for New York.
The New Yorkers applied a lot of pressure from the beginning of the match and took the lead in the 20th minute. On a cross from the left flank, touched by goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau, David Najem took the rebound from outside of the box and scored the first goal.
Despite many chances for Montreal, the Red Bulls added a second goal in the 55th minute, when Florian Valot scored from a header on a cross from Derrick Etienne.
Montreal was close to cutting in half the Red Bulls II lead in the 72nd minute, when Anthony Jackson-Hamel flicked the ball with his head for Michael Salazar, who was alone in front of the net, but his shot was blocked by goalkeeper Kyle Reynish.
The locals added a third goal in the 75th minute on a counter-attack. Defender Zach Carroll cleared the ball from his zone for Brandon Allen, who flicked the ball with his head for Derrick Etienne. The forward was alone against Crepeau, whom he beat with a perfect shot in the top of the net.
In the 92nd minute, Stefano Bonomo scored on a volley after a cross from the left flank to bring the score to 4-0, just before the final whistle.
Despite all the goals scored by the Red Bulls II, Crepeau made many key saves.
"If you don't do the basics well enough against the best team in the league, they will punish you," said assistant coach Simon Gatti. "We made individual mistakes that we can't do in a game of this level. I still think the result doesn't reflect the way we played. Every time we had a counter-attack, it was a chance to score."
"The opponent was better than us on certain aspects," said defender Jems Geffrard. "They had us on when we were not focused. We also lacked intensity in the end and the goalkeeper made key saves on our chances."
FC Montreal will play its last game of the season on Saturday, September 24, at 2pm, against the Harrisburg City Islanders, at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 17, 2016
- FC Montreal Loses 4-0 against the Red Bulls - FC Montreal
- FC Cincinnati, Townsend Seal Home Playoff Spot with Late Goal - - FC Cincinnati
- Independence Fall 1-0 to Rhinos in Home Finale - Charlotte Independence
- The Fight for Playoffs Continues - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Montreal Stories
- FC Montreal Loses 3-1 in Its Last Game of the Season against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Ends 2016 USL Season this Saturday against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Loses 4-0 against the Red Bulls
- FC Montreal Visits Red Bulls II on Saturday
- FC Montreal Hosts the Charleston Battery this Wednesday