FC Montreal Visits Red Bulls II on Saturday
HARRISON, New Jersey - FC Montreal will play its last away game of the season this Saturday at 7pm, against the champions of the USL regular season, the New York Red Bulls II, at Red Bull Arena.
Montreal has a 5-1-1 record in its last seven games, with the team taking a 2-1 win in its last game against the Charleston Battery. Jimmy-Shammar Sanon scored the winning goal after the team played the last 30 minutes a man down.
Sanon was named on the USL Team of the Week and won the USL Goal of the Week after his performance.
It will be a third meeting between the two teams this season. Montreal lost both games, 1-0 and 4-2, at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex.
Since then, New York was named champion of the USL regular season with two games to spare this season and a 19-3-6 record. Its defence is one of its strengths, combined with the way they press the opponent.
"We play against a team that was crowned champion of the regular season with many more points than the rest of the teams in the league," said head coach Philippe Eullaffroy. "We already faced them twice and know they are a solid team, especially defensively. They put a lot of pressure on the opponent, which is one of their game principles that they do with all of their teams. The progression of the group gives us better weapons than in the previous games against them."
"It's motivating because they are in first place," said midfielder Louis Beland-Goyette. "We go there to play and take the three points. It's always a good game against New York. They are young players like us who want to play in the MLS. We are in a good spot right now with the right mentality."
FC Montreal will end its second USL season on Saturday, September 24, at 2pm, at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex, against the Harrisburg City Islanders.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 16, 2016
- Arizona United Has Plenty to Play for in Final Game - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Look to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive Saturday Night at Rival Arizona - Real Monarchs SLC
- FCC Playoff Ticket Window to Open Monday - FC Cincinnati
- USL MATCH PREVIEW | T2 Travel to Face Cascadia-Rival - Portland Timbers 2
- Blues Look to Close in on Playoff Spot - Orange County SC
- Swope Park Rangers at OKC Energy FC - Sporting Kansas City II
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Aaron Long on Loan from NYRB II - New York Red Bulls II
- USL Weekend Preview - USL
- Sacramento Republic FC vs LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- Game Preview: Riverhounds at Bethlehem Steel FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Toros Close California Trip against OC Blues FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Face Tulsa Roughnecks FC in Final Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City FC Renews Rivalry Saturday with Saint Louis - Louisville City FC
- Kickers Host Charleston Saturday - Richmond Kickers
- FC Montreal Visits Red Bulls II on Saturday - FC Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Montreal Stories
- FC Montreal Loses 3-1 in Its Last Game of the Season against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Ends 2016 USL Season this Saturday against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Loses 4-0 against the Red Bulls
- FC Montreal Visits Red Bulls II on Saturday
- FC Montreal Hosts the Charleston Battery this Wednesday