FC Montreal Comes from Behind Twice to Earn Draw with New York Red Bulls II
MONTREAL - FC Montreal scored in stoppage time to equalize 2-2, earning a point at home against the New York Red Bulls II Saturday, at Stade Saputo.
In the 90th minute, winger Victor Omar Ndiaye scored the tying marker. Winger Emad Houache tried to beat the defender in front of the box, but when the the ball was blocked, Ndiaye took advantage and fired it home to make it 2-2.
"When I saw the attempted hook by Emad, I rushed towards the ball to get off a shot," said Victor Omar Ndiaye. "We lacked on the finishing today, but with a bit more quality in front of the net, we could have ended this with a victory."
"It was a feeling of justice and reward," said FC Montreal head coach Philippe Eullaffroy. "I think we deserved at least a point. That's why our feelings are mixed with positives and relief. In our progression evaluation, it's the game where we had the most chances and control. We hope we will move toward with this type of performance. It shows our progress and that we are on the right path."
The Red Bulls scored first right from the start of the game. In the 4th minute, Manolo Sanchez shot from outside the box and surprised goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau, hitting the right post before going in the net.
The Bleu-blanc-noir equalized in the 15th minute. Winger Frédéric Lajoie-Gravelle attacked down the right flank before shooting. When his shot missed the goal, Alessandro Riggi slid to the ball to score his third goal of the season.
At the end of the first half, in the 44th minute, New York took advantage of a free kick right in front of the box to take the lead again. Juan Sanchez curled one over the wall and shot into the top left corner.
FC Montreal will play its next game on Wednesday, June 10, at 6:30pm against Louisville City FC at Stade Saputo. Admission to the game is free.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 6, 2015
- OC Blues FC Drops Tough Contest to LA - Orange County SC
- LA Galaxy II Top OC Blues FC on the Road, 2-1 - LA Galaxy II
- WFC2 Fall 3-0 at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- FC Montreal Comes from Behind Twice to Earn Draw with New York Red Bulls II - FC Montreal
- Hammerheads, Battery Draw 1-1 at Legion Stadium - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Harrisburg Settles for Draw against Toronto - Penn FC
- NYRB II Settle for Draw in Montreal - New York Red Bulls II
- LA Galaxy II Visit Orange County Blues FC Saturday - LA Galaxy II
- Saint Louis FC Draws Pittsburgh for a Second Time - Saint Louis FC
- Saints Claim Point to Deflate Buoyant Hounds - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Sacramento Republic FC Sign Midfielder Daniel Barrera - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roughnecks Record Impressive 5-1 Win in Seattle - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Montreal Stories
- FC Montreal Loses 3-1 in Its Last Game of the Season against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Ends 2016 USL Season this Saturday against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Loses 4-0 against the Red Bulls
- FC Montreal Visits Red Bulls II on Saturday
- FC Montreal Hosts the Charleston Battery this Wednesday