WFC2 Fall 3-0 at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO - Whitecaps FC 2 (WFC) continued their three match road trip on Saturday and saw their four match unbeaten streak come to an end with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of fellow USL expansion side Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
WFC2 (3W-5L-4D) remain just outside of the Western Conference playoff picture, while Colorado Springs (5W-5L-0D) jump above the red line and into a playoff position.
Facing their third of four matches in the span of 10 days, head coach Alan Koch made two changes from Wednesday's starting lineup in Salt Lake. Goalkeeper Spencer Richey came in for Marco Carducci, while striker Billy Schuler stepped in for Victor Blasco.
The 'Caps had the first real chance of the match in the fifth minute as Brett Levis cut in from the right wing and ripped a left footed shot on target, but goalkeeper Devala Gorrick was able to get low and make the stop for Switchbacks FC.
Colorado Springs responded and had a good look of their own on 24 minutes when Mike Seth headed a corner kick on target, but straight into the hands of Richey. The home side came close again two minutes later as Miguel Gonzalez dribbled past Richey in the box but couldn't catch up to the ball in the box.
The match would take a pause soon after when lighting in the area caused the referee to halt the match and send both teams to their locker rooms.
After more than an hour delay, the teams were back on the field, and it was the Switchbacks who struck first on 41 minutes. Gonzalez hit a shot on goal that was saved by Richey, but Aaron King got to the rebound first for a 1-0 lead.
At halftime, Koch brought on young MLS loanees Marco Bustos and Andre Lewis, two players who had a big impact on Wednesday's match in Salt Lake.
Both players brought added energy to the match, but it was Caleb Clarke who came closest with several second half chances as he sought his fourth straight match with a goal, but a goal would not come.
In the end, it was Colorado Springs who would find the back of the net again as Luke Vercollone beat Richey in the 78th minute for a 2-0 lead. Switchbacks FC would add one more from Martin Maybin.
The young 'Caps nearly got on the board in the 89th minute with a header on target from Jackson Farmer, but Gorrick came up with a big save to preserve a 3-0 victory.
Whitecaps FC 2 conclude their road swing on Tuesday, June 9 when they visit Oklahoma City Energy FC at Taft Stadium.
WFC2 are back at Thunderbird Stadium on Sunday, June 14 for cb99374388968ea8b8f61bf23 Bark at the Bird . Bring your dog to the match as the 'Caps take on LA Galaxy II. Tickets are only $15.
The following week is Father's Day as dads get in for free with a purchase of another ticket as the 'Caps take on Cascadia rival Portland Timbers 2 on Sunday, June 21.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 6, 2015
- OC Blues FC Drops Tough Contest to LA - Orange County SC
- LA Galaxy II Top OC Blues FC on the Road, 2-1 - LA Galaxy II
- WFC2 Fall 3-0 at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- FC Montreal Comes from Behind Twice to Earn Draw with New York Red Bulls II - FC Montreal
- Hammerheads, Battery Draw 1-1 at Legion Stadium - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Harrisburg Settles for Draw against Toronto - Penn FC
- NYRB II Settle for Draw in Montreal - New York Red Bulls II
- LA Galaxy II Visit Orange County Blues FC Saturday - LA Galaxy II
- Saint Louis FC Draws Pittsburgh for a Second Time - Saint Louis FC
- Saints Claim Point to Deflate Buoyant Hounds - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Sacramento Republic FC Sign Midfielder Daniel Barrera - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roughnecks Record Impressive 5-1 Win in Seattle - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.