FB/LB Dane Krager Earns AFL Ironman of the Week
After a knee injury kept Leander High School product Dane Krager out of training camp and the first five weeks of the season, he came back with full force and earned AFL Ironman of the Week for his performance in the Wranglers game against Las Vegas. He traveled with the team to Las Vegas after being signed to the active roster on Monday and helped Austin pull out a last second victory against the Gladiators.
Dane is a high energy player who was important to our team in its first season, said Coach Skip Foster. Now that he is back, we will expect him to lead the team the same way he did last year. We were very pleased with his performance last week and hope its an indicator of what he will bring for the rest of his season.
With a little over three minutes left in the second quarter, Krager took a handoff and ran it one yard for his first touchdown of the season and the Wranglers second touchdown of the game.
On the kickoff that followed the score, Tony Dodsons kick rebounded off the net and Krager recovered the ball on the Last Vegas six-yard line to give the Wranglers consecutive offensive drives.
In the fourth quarter, Las Vegas QB Craig Whelihan threw a pass on first-and-goal from the Austin six-yard line. The pass bounced off the net and Krager intercepted it and the Wranglers offense took over on the touchback. This gave the momentum back to the Wranglers and carried them to the teams second victory.
I didnt know until Wednesday that I was traveling with the team. I studied and got focused as quickly as I could, said Krager. I want to help this team win games. We have a lot of talent and a lot of potential and my goal is to help win.
The Wranglers will host the Dallas Desperados this week. Last year against Dallas, Krager ran for seven yards on two rush attempts had one touchdown. The Wranglers look for back-to-back wins Sunday at the Frank Erwin Center.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from March 8, 2005
- Gladiators participate in Nevada Reading Week - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Mack named Defensive Player of the Week - San Jose SaberCats
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- San Jose SaberCats game notes - San Jose SaberCats
- Ready to get rowdy in Austin over spring break? - Austin Wranglers
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- New Orleans VooDoo game notes - New Orleans VooDoo
- Chicago Rush game notes - Chicago Rush
- FB/LB Dane Krager Earns AFL Ironman of the Week - Austin Wranglers
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Arizona Rattlers game notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Predators-Force game time changes to 7 p.m. - Orlando Predators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.