Express RHP Brandon Bielak Earns PCL Pitcher of the Week Honors
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Back-to-back! For the second week in a row, a Round Rock Express pitcher was named the Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week. E-Train RHP Brandon Bielak became the latest member of the team to take home the award after his performance during the week of July 15-22.
Bielak flirted with a no-hitter in his lone outing during the week. The righty held the New Orleans Baby Cakes scoreless on just one hit and two walks while striking out seven in 7.0 dominant innings on July 20. The 23-year-old carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning, when Baby Cakes DH Isan Diaz spoiled the fun with a leadoff double. The hit marked the only New Orleans knock of the game in a 13-0 Round Rock win. Bielak needed just 91 pitches to complete his 7.0-inning shutout, with 60 landing inside the strike zone.
The performance marked Bielak's second 7.0-inning shutout win of the season after also accomplishing the feat on June 24 at Iowa. After a slow start to his Triple-A career, Bielak has arguably been Round Rock's hottest pitcher as of late. In his last six starts, the righty is 4-1 with a 2.13 ERA (9 ER/38.0 IP). Overall, Bielak is 4-3 with a 4.71 ERA (26 ER/49.2 IP) in nine appearances, all starts, with the Express since a May 25 promotion from the Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks.
The Edison, New Jersey native was originally selected by the Houston Astros in the 11th round of the 2017 MLB Draft. He has rocketed his way through the organization's farm system, earning the promotion to Triple-A in just his third season with the club. In his minor league career, Bielak is 16-12 with a 2.78 ERA (73 ER/236.1 IP) in 52 games, including 36 starts. He has struck out 250 opposing hitters to just 84 walks.
The honor marks the seventh time this season that an Express player has earned an award from the PCL. OF Yordan Alvarez was previously named the Player of the Week for April 29-May 5 before RHP Cy Sneed became the Pitcher of the Week for May 20-26, then INF Nick Tanielu was awarded Player of the Week honors for June 3-9. RHP Rogelio Armenteros took home Pitcher of the Week honors last week, July 15-21. Alvarez was selected as the league's Player of the Month for April, then OF Kyle Tucker followed up with Player of the Month honors in May.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 22, 2019
- San Francisco Giants Return to Sacramento in 2020 - Sacramento River Cats
- Express RHP Brandon Bielak Earns PCL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 23-25) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Return Home, Eye Showdown with El Paso - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lux, Bielak Named PCL Players of the Week for July 15-21 - PCL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Express Sweep Baby Cakes in Saturday Doubleheader
- Express OF Kyle Tucker Accomplishes 30-30 Season
- Express Top Baby Cakes 3-2 on Quintana's Walkoff Single
- Memphis Derails Round Rock in Lopsided 14-2 Final
- Houston Astros RHP Josh James Joins Round Rock Express on Major League Rehab Assignment