Explorers Finish off Sweep to Tighten Race
Sioux City, IA - The Sioux City Explorers finish off a sweep of the Cleburne Railroaders on Friday with a 7-4 win.
The X's got off to a quick start with a three run first inning. With the bases loaded and one out Jeremy Hazelbaker brought home the games first run by beating out a double play ball. Dexture McCall and Sebastian Zawada then singled home a pair of runs.
The Explorers would add a run in the next four straight innings. In the second and third it was Kyle Wren who drove home a pair to make it 5-0 X's. Wren lead the way offensively for Sioux City with a four hit night, his first of the season. He also drove home two runs and scored one himself.
Adam Sasser drove in a run on his second hit of the night, and in the fifth it was a two out rally for the X's that scored their final run of the night putting them up 7-0.
All of the damage was done to Eudis Idrogo (8-5) who was handed the loss as he tossed five innings, allowing all seven runs with five of them being earned, six strikeouts and one walk. The Explorers were able to pound out 14 hits which were a season high against Idrogo.
Pete Tago (4-3) on the other hand was once again magnificent for Sioux City. Tago picked up the win as he went six innings allowing just two runs on four hits and four walks. He allowed only one hit through the first five innings and struck out 11 batters. It was the third time this year as he made his ninth start that Tago struck out double digit batters.
Cleburne made things interesting however as they would get two runs off of Tago in the sixth. Daniel Robertson singled and was chased home by an Angel Reyes double. After a pair of strikeouts Ryan Brett slammed a double to left to make it a 7-2 ball game.
Cleburne got even closer in the eighth as an error and a walk would put two men aboard. A sacrifice fly scored one and another RBI double from Brett made it a 7-4 game.
In the ninth Tyler Fallwell was brought on to pick up the last two outs. After allowing a hit to the first batter he faced he would strike out the final two Railroaders to end the ball game and to pick up his first save of the season.
The X's with the win pull to just a game and a half of Cleburne in the division race. Unfortunately for the X's though they swept Cleburne they did not gain any ground on the Kansas City T-Bones who swept the Lincoln Saltdogs in a four game series.
The X's and T-Bones begin a three game series on Saturday at 6:05 pm. Sam Held makes his second start in the rotation and newly acquired TJ House makes his Kansas City T-Bones debut.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 24, 2019
- 'Dogs Snap Skid as Brownell Makes More History - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sermo Slam Not Enough as T-Bones Take Game One - Sioux City Explorers
- 3 Errors Too Much for Gary to Overcome in 5-2 Loss to Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RailCats Ink Infielder McCarthy to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Finish off Sweep to Tighten Race - Sioux City Explorers
- Carrizales Walks It off in 11 Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- All Good Things Must Come to An End, Saints Win Streak Snapped on Walk-Off 3-2 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux City Explorers Stories
- Saints Sweep X's to Win American Association Championship
- X's Can't Deliver Clutch Hits in Home Finale, Pushed to Brink in Finals
- Saints Dominate Explorers to Open American Association Finals
- Explorers Are Finals Bound
- Sermo, Samson and Bullpen Team up to Take Game Three