Everblades' Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Growlers
St. John's, NL - The Florida Everblades outshot the Newfoundland Growlers by 13 but couldn't find the back of the net in a 3-0 loss in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals on Saturday at Mile One Centre.
Needing a win to extend their season, the Everblades couldn't solve Growlers goaltender Michael Garteig for the second straight night as their season came to an end.
With a pileup of bodies in front of 'Blades goaltender Callum Booth, Zach O'Brien fired a shot from the slot in the last two minutes of the second period. Booth made the first save, but Scott Pooley punched in the rebound from the side of the net to give the Growlers a 1-0 lead, which proved to be enough to earn the victory.
The Growlers added two goals in the third period to seal the victory. Hudson Elynuik scored on a zone rush from the slot at the 7:43 mark of the third period to extend the lead to two, and Giorgio Estephan scored on a sharp angle try with 7:25 left in the third period for the final goal of the night.
Booth finished the night with 20 saves on 23 shots in his 12th straight postseason start. Garteig made 36 saves to pick up the win.
Florida finished its 21st ECHL season with 50 wins for only the third time in team history and qualified for the conference finals for the second consecutive year, only the second time in team history it has made back to back appearances in the conference finals.
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fits into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades goaltender Callum Booth
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 18, 2019
- Walleye Snap Oilers Home Winning Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Growlers Are Eastern Conference Champs, Beat Everblades 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Everblades' Season Ends with Game 5 Loss to Growlers - Florida Everblades
- Newfoundland Captures E.A. "Bud" Gingher Trophy as Eastern Conference Champions - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen
- Comeback Win-Iecki: Everblades Outlast Solar Bears in Overtime
- Preview: Florida Faces Orlando, Pursues Fourth Straight Home Win