ECHL Approves IceMen Move to Owensboro
EVANSVILLE, IN - The ECHL Board of Governors completed its midseason meeting Monday and officially approved the transfer of the Evansville IceMen to Owensboro, KY.
With support from its member teams, the ECHL also approved the IceMen's request for a voluntary suspension for the 2016-17 season to allow for the necessary renovations of the Owensboro Sportscenter. The City of Owensboro and Mayor Ron Payne have also granted the IceMen an extension to begin the renovations of the Owensboro Sportscenter to September 30, 2016.
"With a 66-year-old building, this is something that we want to do right," said IceMen Owner Ron Geary. "Out of fairness to the ECHL's other member teams, this is not a project we can rush to complete. We want the Owensboro Sportscenter to be a great place to watch a hockey game, with amenities that are attractive to the fans."
Geary added that there is still some uncertainty with the impending costs for such renovations, which requires more time to finalize.
"We appreciate the support of the ECHL, its member teams, the City of Owensboro and our great fans in understanding our desire to keep the IceMen in this region and the time it will take to complete these renovations," said Geary.
While the IceMen work to renovate their new home, staff will continue to pursue sponsorship opportunities and a season ticket holder base in preparation for the 2017-18 season, and will remain active in the community.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 14, 2016
- Oil Drops: Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- 2016 Mac Awards Event Honors Season Ticket Holders and Members of Mavericks Community - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - March 14 - ECHL
- Stingrays Weekly News and Notes - South Carolina Stingrays
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Royals make move with four-game winning streak - ECHL
- ECHL Approves IceMen Move to Owensboro - Evansville IceMen
- Board of Governors Concludes Mid-Season Meeting - ECHL
- Indy Fuel Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Monarchs Weekly Preview - Manchester Monarchs
- Grizzlies Head to Colorado for Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Komets Collect Four Points in Alaska - Fort Wayne Komets
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Royals Top Thunder in First Pro Game at Herb Brooks Arena, 1-0 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.