Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 19, 2021
The San Jose Earthquakes fell to Houston Dynamo FC 2-1 in their 2021 MLS season opener last Friday at BBVA Stadium. Defender Paul Marie scored San Jose's lone goal, the second of his MLS career, while Eduardo Lopez and Luciano Abecasis each made their MLS debut.
The Earthquakes are now preparing for their home opener this Saturday, April 24 against FC Dallas, presented by PayPal. Kickoff from PayPal Park, which will be the first sporting event in Santa Clara County with fans since last March, is set for 12:30 p.m. PT. The match will be broadcast on Univision, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
LAST GAME VS. HOUSTON DYNAMO FC (4/16)
Defender Luciano Abecasis and midfielder Eduardo 'Chofis' Lopez made their MLS debut, while midfielder Eric Remedi made his Earthquakes debut.
Goal of the Week Contender
Defender Paul Marie earned a Goal the Week nomination for his stunning goal from distance. It marked his first goal of the 2021 season and second of his MLS career.
Extending his Record
Midfielder Shea Salinas tallied his first assist of the season and 52nd of his MLS career. It also marked his 49th assist for San Jose, extending his own record.
NEXT GAME VS. FC DALLAS (4/24)
The Earthquakes will host FC Dallas this Saturday in the club's season home opener. San Jose have won four of their six home openers since the stadium was opened in 2015.
San Jose will play this Saturday at the newly named PayPal Park for the first time. The Earthquakes and PayPal Holdings Inc. announced a 10-year partnership earlier this month that includes naming rights to the team's stadium in San Jose.
Almost Two Years
686 days will have passed since the Quakes last faced Dallas on June 8, 2019 in San Jose.
Unbeaten Run at Home
The Quakes hold an unbeaten record of 3-0-3 vs. FC Dallas in their last six matches in San Jose.
In the Quakes' last match against FC Dallas, forward Chris Wondolowski netted a goal to overcome an early deficit and extend his career MLS goals record to 152 at the time.
Household Name in Dallas
Chris Wondolowski is level with Kei Kamara for most career goals against FC Dallas (7) within active MLS players.
Making an Impact
Wondolowski has the third most assists against FC Dallas (5), just behind Fredy Montero (6) and Graham Zusi (7).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 19, 2021
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 19, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Kick off 2021 Home Opener with MLS Is Back Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Breaking Lines: Attack Shines in Home Opener - Inter Miami CF
- Know Your Opponent: Washington Spirit - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Forward Javier Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Week - LA Galaxy
- Galaxy Forward Javier Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Wee - MLS
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- New York City FC Hosts Season Kickoff Week Before 2021 Season Home Opener and Honors New York Heroes with 'Heroes Row' - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: April 19, 2021 - FC Cincinnati
- Cavallini header leads 'Caps over rival Timbers on opening night - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC in MLS Season Opener at Rio Tinto Stadium - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 4, 2021
- Earthquakes Announce Date Change for Road Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC
- 17-Year-Old Cade Cowell Named MLS Player of the Week
- Earthquakes Loan Gilbert Fuentes and Casey Walls to Austin Bold FC
- Jackson Yueill scores twice, Cade Cowell tallies one goal and two assists