Earthquakes Sign Midfielder Tony Donatelli
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that they have signed midfielder Tony Donatelli. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Tony has had a great career in USL First Division and was a part of two championship teams," said General Manager of Soccer Operations John Doyle. "He also did well in CONCACAF Champions League games against very good competition. We think he will be a solid addition to our team."
The Glenside, Penn. native has played in the USL First Division with both the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps during his professional career. He was part of two championship teams, in 2006 with Vancouver and 2009 with Montreal, and was a teammate of current Quakes midfielder Joey Gjertsen at both stops.
Donatelli most recently played with the Montreal Impact from the middle of 2008 through 2010. He helped the team to the USL Championship in 2009, and the semi-finals in 2008 and 2010. The Impact also won the Voyageurs Cup in 2008.
The former Temple Owl appeared in 30 games (27 starts) in 2010, scoring seven goals with three assists. He appeared in 27 games for the USL Champion Impact in 2009, scoring two goals and notching three assists. He also scored twice in four playoff appearances, including a goal in a 3-1 win over the Whitecaps in the Championship game.
In 2008, Donatelli split time in both Vancouver and Montreal, joining the Impact via trade in June. He appeared in 26 games in 2008 with all four of his goals coming in Montreal. He also appeared in eight CONCACAF Champions League games with Montreal, where he scored three goals.
The 6'1" midfielder began his professional career with the Vancouver Whitecaps. As a rookie in 2006, he made 24 appearances, including seven starts. He scored two goals and notched two assists. Donatelli scored three goals and had one assist in the playoffs to help the Whitecaps to a USL Championship in 2006.
In 2007, Donatelli made 27 appearances with 20 starts, scored four goals and posted a pair of assists. In his five years in the USL First Division and USSF Division 2, Donatelli made 134 appearances, 84 of which were starts. He scored 19 goals with 12 assists.
Donatelli played in the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) during the USL offseason from 2006-2008 with his hometown Philadelphia KiXX. He scored 35 goals in 59 appearances and helped the KiXX to a title in 2006.
The 26-year-old midfielder played his college soccer at Temple University in Philadelphia, Penn. He finished his four-year career tied for first in career assists with 20 and was eighth in Owls history with 64 points. After his senior season, he was named to the All-Atlantic 10 First Team, the All Mid-Atlantic Region First Team and also earned the Philadelphia Soccer Seven Player of the Year award.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 28, 2011
- Earthquakes Sign Midfielder Tony Donatelli - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Announce 2011 Preseason Travel Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Preseason Camp / Intra-Squad Scrimmage Report - - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Re-Sign Andre Akpan and Jamie Smith - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Move to Eastern Conference - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Releases 2011 Conference Alignment, Roster Rules - MLS
- Crew Signs Prolific Forward Jeff Cunningham - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Sign Forward Luke Rodgers - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 15, 2018
- Earthquakes Shutout Liga MX Leaders Cruz Azul in Friendly
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jahmir Hyka Undergoes Surgery to Repair Facial Fractures
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 8, 2018
- Earthquakes Hire Matias Almeyda as Head Coach