Dynamo Look to Equal MLS Home Unbeaten Streak Record Tomorrow Night against San Jose Earthquakes
HOUSTON, TX (Friday, March 29, 2013) - The Houston Dynamo will try to equal Real Salt Lake's MLS record 34-game home unbeaten streak tomorrow night when they host the San Jose Earthquakes at BBVA Compass Stadium in a match presented by State Farm. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. CT and tickets are still available at www.HoustonDynamo.com or at the stadium ticket office (2200 Texas St., Houston) from noon through kickoff on Saturday.
San Jose's first-ever visit to BBVA Compass Stadium will be broadcast live on KPRC Local 2 and can be heard on Yahoo Sports Radio 1560 AM and La Ranchera 850 AM (Spanish).
The Dynamo carry a 33-game home unbeaten streak in all competitions (includes MLS Cup playoffs and CONCACAF Champions League) into Saturday's game. With a win or a tie, the Dynamo will match Real Salt Lake's league mark for home unbeaten streak in all competitions. Houston has not lost a home game since June 18, 2011.
Houston's 33-game home unbeaten streak is the third-longest in the annals of American professional sports. Only the Chicago Bulls of the NBA (44 games, 1995-96) and Real Salt Lake of MLS (34 games in all competitions, 2009-11) have longer home unbeaten streaks among teams in the five major American professional sports.
Saturday's game is the only regular season meeting between Houston (2-1-0; 6 points) and San Jose (2-1-0; 7 points) in 2013.
The Earthquakes are led by former Dynamo forward Chris Wondolowski, who won the MLS MVP award in 2012 after tying a league record with 27 goals. Wondolowski leads the Earthquakes with two goals in 2013, including the game-winner in a 1-0 victory over Seattle last Saturday.
San Jose won the 2012 MLS Supporters' Shield with the league's best regular season record (19-6-9; 66 points) and set a franchise-record with 72 goals.
The Dynamo are 5-4-1 all-time against the Earthquakes, including a 3-1 mark in home games. The clubs met once in 2012 - on St. Patrick's Day at AT&T Park in San Francisco - and the Dynamo secured a 1-0 win on Brad Davis' penalty goal. It was San Jose's lone home loss of the regular season and one of only two times it was shut out last season.
Saturday's game pits two coaches who are tied for fourth on the league's all-time wins chart. Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear and San Jose head coach Frank Yallop each have 116 career regular season wins. Yallop began Kinnear's coaching career when he named him assistant coach in 2001.
There are several ties between the Earthquakes and Dynamo after the original San Jose franchise shifted to Houston after the 2005 season. Eight Dynamo coaches and players have previous experience with San Jose, including forwards Brian Ching and Cam Weaver and midfielders Brad Davis and Ricardo Clark.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 29, 2013
- Galaxy Seek to Break Nelsen's Gritty Toronto FC - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Hosts First Place Montreal on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Waive Forward Josue Martinez - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Look to Equal MLS Home Unbeaten Streak Record Tomorrow Night against San Jose Earthquakes - Houston Dynamo
- Dynamo Partner with Texas Children's Health Plan for Family Section at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Comes to Town for Inter-Conference Clash - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Waive Midfielder César - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy's Landon Donovan Could Return to Team During CCL - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Drop 1-0 Decision to Minnesota United FC in Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Nearly All Player Slots Filled for SueÃ±o MLS 2013 - MLS
- Preview: Impact Takes on Sporting KC at Sporting Park this Saturday - Montreal Impact
- March Results Set Table for Success in 2013 - Columbus Crew SC
- McCullers Sets Sights on Bigger Things in 2013 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup Set for June 29
- Houston Dynamo Sign Swedish Defender Adam Lundqvist
- Game Notes: Houston Dynamo at Minnesota United FC - Sat., April 28 - 7 p.m. CDT
- Houston Dynamo Home Match vs. LA Galaxy on May 5 Officially Sold Out
- Houston Dynamo Acquire MF Luis Gil on Loan from Queretaro FC