Dynamo Acquire Forward Omar Cummings from Colorado Rapids
HOUSTON, TX (Friday, December 21, 2012) -- The Houston Dynamo have acquired forward Omar Cummings from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for defender Nathan Sturgis and allocation money, it was announced today. Per club and league policy, terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Cummings made 28 appearances for Colorado in 2012, tallying six goals and two assists. The Jamaican international totaled 39 goals and 27 assists in his six-year career with the Rapids. Cummings was named to the 2011 MLS All-Star team and scored a career-high 14 goals in 2010.
"I have always like Omar," Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear said. "He is a good player with good pace. He is someone who knows the league well. We were in an unfortunate situation with Calen Carr's injury, but Omar is a player who can come in and help us stretch the field."
The 30-year-old striker has also been a staple of the Jamaican national team, making 28 appearances for the Reggae Boyz with seven goals scored. Cummings was part of the squad that advanced to the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying.
"This is an exciting acquisition for our club," said Dynamo president Chris Canetti. "Simply put, Omar makes us better. Dom has tremendous respect for him as a player and believes he will be a valuable addition to the club.
"I'd also like to thank Nathan for his contributions to the club. It is sad to see him go, but I think Colorado presents a good career opportunity for him."
The Dynamo acquired Sturgis in December 2011 from Toronto FC. The 25-year-old defender made five regular season appearances and three CONCACAF Champions League appearances for Houston.
In addition to the acquisition of Cummings, the Dynamo announced that it has waived forward Colin Rolfe. Houston's first round draft pick in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft, Rolfe did not feature for the Dynamo last season.
2013 single-game tickets are not yet on sale, but tickets for all matches can be purchased through full or partial season ticket packages. Full season ticket packages are on sale for as low as $400, with partial season ticket packages starting at $115. To purchase your package or for more information on 2013 season tickets call (713) 276-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 23, 2012
- Rapids Acquire Allocation Money and Nathan Sturgis in Trade with Houston - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Acquire Forward Omar Cummings from Colorado Rapids - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy Insider Player Ratings: David Junior Lopes - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy Insider Player Ratings: Bryan Gaul - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Strike Early in 2-2 Draw at D.C. United
- Game Notes: Houston Dynamo at D.C. United
- Dynamo Fall to Vancouver 2-1; Travel to D.C. United Next Week
- DF Adolfo Machado Named to Panama's Roster for International Friendlies
- Game Notes: Houston Dynamo vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC