Dustin Tokarski turns in 39-save shutout performance
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - The Lehigh Valley Phantoms used a three-goal outburst during a five-minute span in the first period to set up a 5-0 victory over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at PPL Center on Wednesday night.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (13-6-1-1) threw 39 shots at Lehigh Valley goalie Dustin Tokarski, who turned all of them all aside for his first shutout of the season.
The Phantoms struck twice in a 53-second stretch to take a sudden 2-0 lead. First, Mikhail Vorobyev thrust a centering feed into the back of the Penguins' net, then Corban Knight pounced on a turnover and buried it at 13:10 of the opening frame.
Knight contributed to Lehigh Valley's next goal as well, setting up Oskar Lindblom on a two-on-one rush with under three minutes left in the first period.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton had a power play early in the second period and hoped to cut into the deficit, but instead saw Tyrell Goulbourne rush down the ice shorthanded and make it 4-0. Penguins netminder Anthony Peters left the game following the Goulbourne goal having made 15 stops on 19 shots faced, and he was replaced by Sean Maguire.
Matt Read put a bow on the Phantoms' victory by scoring his team's fifth goal of the night at 13:36 of the third period. Read's bid was the only shot of 16 that solved Maguire once he stepped in for Peters.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's penalty kill finished the night a perfect five-for-five, while its man advantage unit was unable to convert on five opportunities of its own.
The Penguins' next game is Friday, Dec. 8, against the Charlotte Checkers. Puck drop between the Penguins and Checkers is 7:05 p.m. and is a WBRE/WYOU Eyewitness News Fan Friday. All tickets for Friday's contest are $14, and select draught beers are $2 from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Individual tickets for all Penguins home games are available at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, online at TicketMaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000.
Season ticket packages for the 19th season of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hockey, including 22-game, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by contacting the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2017
- Tickets for Pins and Pucks on Sale Now; Bowl with the Team on January 23 - Ontario Reign
- Teddy Bear Toss presented by Frontier Communications is Saturday, December 16! - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Fly by Gulls - Chicago Wolves
- Dustin Tokarski turns in 39-save shutout performance - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Adam Erne Nets Hat Trick in 6-1 Win over Comets - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Snap Comets Point Streak - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Saarijarvi, Borkowski Re-Join Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ontario Reign Staff Move over 740 Miles and Raise over $2,000 During November - Ontario Reign
- Colorado Avalanche Reassign Forward Rocco Grimaldi to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Bleackley Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Eriksson Ek from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Rangers Sign Free Agent Goaltender Marek - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Joseph Zakrzewski Named New IceHogs Broadcaster - Ontario Reign
- D T.J. Brennan, G Alex Lyon Recalled by Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Announce Four Roster Moves - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks to Collect Toys for the Pirate Toy Fund During Next Two Home - Rochester Americans
- Comets Announce Roster Moves - Utica Comets
- Iowa Falls to Texas in Overtime 5-4 - Iowa Wild
- San Antonio Drops 5-1 Decision to Bakersfield - San Antonio Rampage
- Gust Gets Two as Condors Cruise in San Antonio, 5-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- RANGERS RECALL ALEXANDAR GEORGIEV FROM HARTFORD - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Shop and Skate with the Condors Wednesday, Dec 13 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moulson Returns to Southern California for First Time Since 2008-09 Season - Ontario Reign
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Coyotes Assign Hanley to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with Hillside Family of Agencies to Hold - Syracuse Crunch
- Lough Joins Wolves Blue Line - Chicago Wolves
- Lough Joins Wolves Blue Line - Chicago Wolves
- First-Place Penguins Prepare for Another Busy Week - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2
- Penguins Come Back to Stay Undefeated against Devils
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Mid-Week Home Game against Devils
- Ryan Scarfo Recalled by Penguins
- Penguins Drop 5-1 Decision at Hershey