Dunedin and Florida Play Game Two of a Three Game Series
SERIES OPENING LOSS: Florida defeated Dunedin by the final score of 2-1 in comeback fashion. The Blue Jays took the lead early with a run plated in the top of the third on Norberto Obeso's RBI hit. Florida tied the game in the bottom of the fourth on Jefry Ramos RBI. Andy Wilkins broke the one all tie with a solo homer to left in the eighth off RHP Jackson Rees to give Florida the lead and the eventual victory. RHP Matt Hartman started and went six innings for the Fire Frogs, while Matt Withrow notched the win and Daysbel Hernandez picking up the save with three combined scoreless innings out of the Florida pen.
TONIGHT'S ACTION: The Blue Jays take on the Florida Fire Frogs in game two of the three game weekend series. Dunedin comes into tonight's contest having lost two straight, but have have won 10 of their last 14 and currently sit in a virtual tie for first place with the Lakeland Flying Tigers in the Florida State league North Division second half standings, and a 12 game lead in the overall North standings. The Jays hold a 43-26 record against North Division opponents this season.
EXTINGUISHING THE FROGS: Dunedin hits the road for the final time in 2019 and matchup with the Florida Fire Frogs for a three game weekend series. It will be the final series between the two teams in 2019. The Jays hold the 9-2 season series lead and have clinched the series for the third consecutive year against the division opponents from Kissimmee. The Blue Jays have won six of their last seven against Florida going back to June 10th. Additionally, Dunedin clinched the North division in the first half at Osceola County Stadium on June 11th in a game that featured rehab assignments from top prospects Bo Bichette and TJ Zeuch.
ENTERING POST-SEASON PICTURE: Today's affair marks the fourth game in a 14 game, 13 day string of games to end the 2019 regular season. The season will conclude on Sunday, September 1st before the post-season will commence. Of the 14 contests, 11 will be played at home. Additionally, the Blue Jays have punched their ticket to the playoffs after winning the first half in the North Division and currently sit tied for first place with the Lakeland Flying Tigers in second half play. If the post-season were to start today, Dunedin and the team with the second best overall record-the Clearwater Threshers would matchup in the North Division Playoff Series in the first week of September.
BACK ON TOP: The Jays have won 10 of their last 14 games and have leapt right back into first place in the Florida State League second half North Division standings after winning the first half crown and securing their spot in post-season play for the playoffs. In total, Dunedin has spent a league best 121 of the 136 days of the 2019 season sitting tied or all alone in first place in the two halves combined in the North Division and have never dropped below first place in the overall division race in the North. Finally, the Jays overall record sits at 75-53, and have surpassed the 69 wins total from 2018. The high water wins mark serves as the third time in the last four years the Blue Jays have won at least 70 games.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Dunedin Darts Past Florida, 9-8 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Bradenton, Rain Rattle Daytona, 9-3 - Daytona Tortugas
- Cabrera's Two Blasts Lead Tarpons Past Flying Tigers, 6-5 - Tampa Tarpons
- Muzziotti Stays Hot in Loss to Stone Crabs - Clearwater Threshers
- Hammerheads Shut out Mets 5-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Stone Crabs Clinch Second Half Division Championship - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Vallimont Dominant, Miracle Win Fifth Straight - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin and Florida Play Game Two of a Three Game Series - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dunedin Blue Jays Stories
- Dunedin Blue Jays Raise over $1,800 for Dunedin Cares Inc. in Band Together against Hunger Campaign
- Dunedin Blue Jays Join Dunedin Cares Inc. to Band Together against Hunger
- Dunedin Blue Jays Announce 2020 On-Field Staff
- Dunedin Blue Jays Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Samad Taylor Recipient of Team Community Service Award