Hammerheads Shut out Mets 5-0
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The Jupiter Hammerheads shut out the St. Lucie Mets 5-0 on Saturday at First Data Field.
Jupiter scored unearned runs in the fourth and fifth innings to grab a 2-0 lead. The Hammerheads broke the game open with three runs in the sixth. Jerar Encarnacion led off with the inning with a triple and scored on a Lazaro Alonso single. Tristan Pompey then belted another triple to plate Alonso for a 4-0 lead. Pompey would go on to score on a wild pitch to make it 5-0.
Jupiter starter Dustin Beggs was dominant over 5.2 scoreless innings. He scattered five hits, did not walk a batter and struck out five.
Mets starter Tylor Megill pitched well in the loss. He gave up three earned runs in five innings. He struck out seven and at one point retired nine Hammerheads in a row.
New York Mets infielder Jed Lowrie continued his rehab assignment. He progressed to playing defense and served as the second baseman for four innings. He did not have a ball hit to him. At the plate Lowrie went 1 for 2 with a single.
Carlos Cortes went 2 for 4 with a double.
The Mets losing streak reached 10 games. It's the longest losing streak for the franchise since they also lost 10 in a row from July 20-30, 2010.
The Mets were shut out for the third time in the last four games.
The Charlotte Stone Crabs win over Clearwater on Saturday, coupled with the Mets loss, clinched the FSL South second half title for the Stone Crabs.
The Mets (35-28, 67-62) and Hammerheads (31-33, 52-75) conclude their series at First Data Field on Sunday at noon.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Dunedin Darts Past Florida, 9-8 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Bradenton, Rain Rattle Daytona, 9-3 - Daytona Tortugas
- Cabrera's Two Blasts Lead Tarpons Past Flying Tigers, 6-5 - Tampa Tarpons
- Muzziotti Stays Hot in Loss to Stone Crabs - Clearwater Threshers
- Hammerheads Shut out Mets 5-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Stone Crabs Clinch Second Half Division Championship - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Vallimont Dominant, Miracle Win Fifth Straight - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin and Florida Play Game Two of a Three Game Series - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.