Drive Excel in Fourth Quarter, Top Energy 107-95
GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - Mar. 25 - The Grand Rapids Drive (21-24) pulled away from the Iowa Energy (24-21) late in the game on Wednesday night to come away with a 107-95 home win.
This is the Drive's second win in a row. Iowa's loss snaps a three-game winning streak, critical towards their attempts to earn a playoff berth in the crowded Central Division.
The first quarter was almost exclusively a defensive struggle. The Energy held the Drive to just 17 points in the first quarter but managed only 21 themselves.
The scoring picked up a bit in the second quarter, as Grand Rapids outscored Iowa 29-27 to head into halftime with just a two-point deficit.
They then took their first lead of the game midway through the third quarter as part of another impressive defensive performance, opening the quarter on a 21-13 run.
Iowa grabbed the lead back with just under two minutes to go on a three by Damien Wilkins, going up 72-70, and the score was tied up at 76 heading into the final quarter.
The Energy scored the first four points of the final fourth quarter, but the Drive ripped off an incredible run after that, scoring 15 consecutive points in a multi-minute stretch. This all but sealed the win.
Quincy Miller, assigned today by the NBA's Detroit Pistons, led the home team with a huge game, compiling 26 points and 15 rebounds. Kevin Murphy had 21 points, five rebounds and five assists off the bench and Adonis Thomas added 16 points on his 22nd birthday.
Jarnell Stokes scored 20 points, had 15 rebounds and went 10-of-12 from the free throw line to lead Iowa. Wilkins added 23 points and Willie Reed had 18.
The Energy did the majority of their damage through a dominant showing drawing and converting foul shots. They took 45 of them and converted 33.
Considering Iowa's impressive frontcourt of Reed and Stokes, the Drive had an impressive game rebounding the basketball. They finished with a 55-34 advantage on the glass and had six players record at least five rebounds.
Grand Rapids will head to the road to take on the Maine Red Claws on March 29 for their next contest. Iowa hosts the first game of a doubleheader with the Canton Charge on the 28th.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 25, 2015
- BayHawks Eliminated from Playoff Contention, Lose to Maine - Erie BayHawks
- Energy Fall to the Grand Rapids Drive - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Excel in Fourth Quarter, Top Energy 107-95 - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Inch Closer to Division Title with Win over Erie - Maine Red Claws
- Detroit Pistons Assign Quincy Miller to Grand Rapids Drive of NBA D-League - G League
- Detroit Pistons Assign Quincy Miller to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Mavericks Reassign Dwight Powell to the Texas Legends - G League
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Austin Daye to Second 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Jam Lose 111-103 to the Mad Ants - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.