BayHawks Eliminated from Playoff Contention, Lose to Maine
Erie, Pennsylvania, Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - In this sixth and final meeting between the teams this season, the Erie BayHawks (20-25) ran out of gas against the Maine Red Claws (31-14) 116-114 after Erie played the final three quarters with seven players. With the loss, Erie has been knocked out of playoff contention.
The Red Claws led for much of the first quarter as Erie trailed closely with great contributions from the bench. With nine minutes remaining in the second frame, Daniel Coursey gave Erie their first lead since the opening two minutes of the game after scoring six straight, but Jarvis Williams was injured shortly after. With Peyton Siva and Joe Crawford sidelined after suffering mild injuries on Sunday, the BayHawks were down to seven players.
Despite being shorthanded, the Erie managed to hold a seven-point lead heading into halftime. The BayHawks bench provided 27 of the teams 59 points while Maine shot just 34.7% from the field. The BayHawks attempted 49 shots in the first two quarters, the second most out of any half this season, and out-rebounded Maine by 10.
James Young, who was reassigned to the Red Claws for the 11th time this season earlier this week from the Boston Celtics, nailed his fourth three-pointer of the night to cut their deficit to just four midway through the third quarter. Chris Babb's second consecutive three on as many possessions gave Maine the lead and eventually held an eight-point advantage. Erie would battle back to tie the game minutes into the fourth after Lenzelle Smith, Jr. buried a corner three, but the BayHawks would fail to regain the lead.
Erie found themselves trailing by three with under a minute left while Young's shot attempt clanked off the rim but Tim Frazier was there for the rebound. After hitting both free-throw attempts, Erie ran out of time and gas and fell 116-114. There will be no postseason for the BayHawks for the third consecutive season.
After missing his first five shot attempts, Seth Curry finished strong and scored a team high 25 points while dishing five assists. Keith Appling scored a season high 23 points during Siva's absence and also recorded a team high six assists in his first NBA Development League start with Erie. Drew Crawford scored 17 points and has now scored double-digits in 26 of his last 31 games. John Bohannon recorded a double-double with 14 points and 14 rebounds.
Maine's Frazier went off for a game high 30 points while Young tallied 20 of his own, including six threes. Omari Johnson came off the bench to provide Maine's only double-double with 22 points and 14 rebounds.
Erie remains at home Saturday at 7:00 PM to host Delaware in the first of three straight games against the 87ers. The following matchup is next Friday at Delaware before the teams head back to Erie the next day to finish their season series.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 25, 2015
- BayHawks Eliminated from Playoff Contention, Lose to Maine - Erie BayHawks
- Energy Fall to the Grand Rapids Drive - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Excel in Fourth Quarter, Top Energy 107-95 - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Inch Closer to Division Title with Win over Erie - Maine Red Claws
- Detroit Pistons Assign Quincy Miller to Grand Rapids Drive of NBA D-League - G League
- Detroit Pistons Assign Quincy Miller to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Mavericks Reassign Dwight Powell to the Texas Legends - G League
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Austin Daye to Second 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Jam Lose 111-103 to the Mad Ants - Bakersfield Jam
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Erie BayHawks Stories
- Pelicans Transfer Zylan Cheatham from the Erie BayHawks
- BayHawks to Recognize Military Heroes and Collect Care Package Items for Troops
- BayHawks Split Opening Weekend Homstand; Fall to Greensboro
- Pelicans Transfer Josh Gray from the Erie BayHawks
- Nuggets Assign Vlatko Cancar to Erie BayHawks