Drive End 2018 with a Win
OSHKOSH - Marcus Thornton scored 27 points, including 20 in the first half, and Shep Garner hit seven three-pointers and scored 23 points as the Grand Rapids Drive (9-12) cruised to a 118-107 road win over the Wisconsin Herd (3-17) Saturday night. The Drive have now won consecutive road games after starting the season 1-7 on the road.
Thornton and Garner combined to hit 12 three-pointers, as the Drive finished 22-of-48 (46 percent) from deep. The 22 made three-pointers are the second-most for a game in Grand Rapids Drive history.
Keenan Evans had his second solid game in a row as well for the Drive, finishing with 21 points. Todd Withers chipped in 17 points and six rebounds and Speedy Smith again posted double-digit assists by recording 12.
For the Herd, Christian Wood and James Young were a dynamic duo as they combined for 59 points, over half the team total. Wood had 30 points and 14 rebounds and Young hit six three-pointers on his way to 29 points, six rebounds and six assists. Travis Trice and Michael Qualls were the other players for the home team in double figures with 15 and 13 points, respectively.
It was a battle of big momentum shifts for much of the game as the Drive dominated the first and third quarters while the Herd dominated the second. The Herd outscored the Drive 34-15 in the second quarter while Grand Rapids had a 27-point advantage in the first and third combined. The Drive hung on for a three-point advantage in the fourth frame to keep the lead they had built safe and seal the win.
Another large part of the Drive's win was their ability to keep up their recent trend of winning the battle on the boards after struggling to rebound early in the year. They had 54 rebounds to 40 by the Herd, with seven players recording at least five.
The Drive will look to finish off their three-game road trip undefeated when they play Delaware on Friday night. The Herd will look to snap a four-game skid the same day on the road against Fort Wayne.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 29, 2018
- Mykhailiuk Burns the Suns for 47 Points in South Bay's Win - South Bay Lakers
- Suns Hold Own against 5 LA Lakers, Drop Game at South Bay - Northern Arizona Suns
- Big Third Quarter Proves Too Much for Capital City - Capital City Go-Go
- Drive End 2018 with a Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge End 2018 in Defeat - Canton Charge
- BayHawks Victorious against Blue Coats - Erie BayHawks
- 905 Fall Short in Final Game of 2018 - Raptors 905
- Stars Acquire Tre'shaun Fletcher - Salt Lake City Stars
- Kings Recall Harry Giles from Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Stockton Kings Take Down Agua Caliente Clippers 118-95 - Stockton Kings
- Clippers Drop Road Contest against Stockton - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Stars Defeat Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Long Island Holds on to Victory After Late Wisconsin Run - Wisconsin Herd
- Stars Defeat Spurs - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.