Drillers to host Corpus Christi on Saturday
BEAUMONT, TX -- The Beaumont Drillers will return to the practice field on Thurs., June 9, at 6:30pm tentatively set at Ford Arena.
The Drillers (4-7) were off last week and will host the Corpus Christi Hammerheads (5-6) this Saturday at 7:05 p.m. inside Ford Arena in a critical contest.
Beaumont clings to the eighth and final wildcard playoff spot in the Pacific Conference. The top eight teams in both the Pacific and Atlantic Conferences will advance to the playoffs. The Drillers are one game ahead of San Angelo but just a half game behind No. 7 Billings (4-6) and one game behind Corpus.
The Drillers have lost six straight after starting the season 4-1. The most recent loss was on May 28 when Beaumont lost 37-34 to Southwest Louisiana after being down 23-3 in the second quarter.
Corpus handed Beaumont their worst defeat of the season (66-46) back on May 1.
The Drillers are finally healthy and will welcome back wide receiver Chad Luttrull to the lineup. Luttrull has been sidelined since injuring his foot on April 1 at Dayton. Luttrull will be on the field with fellow receivers Pat Palmer and Shockmain Davis for the first time this year.
Running back Roland Hayes is second in the NIFL in scoring with 33 touchdowns (200 points) and third in the league in rushing (547 yards). Those are all franchise highs.
Lumberton-native Shane Winchester is second in the NIFL in tackles with 72.0 and safety Randy Chappell is eighth with 60.5.
A win over Corpus would put Beaumont in prime position to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. The last time a professional Beaumont sports team made the playoffs was in 1984, when the minor league baseball team Golden Gators achieved that goal.
The Drillers have three games remaining on their schedule, two at home and one on the road.
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from June 8, 2005
- Listen to Maulers on the Road - Montgomery Bears
- Win would give Rage division title - RiverCity Rage
- Drillers return to practice field in search of a win - Beaumont Drillers
- Drillers to host Corpus Christi on Saturday - Beaumont Drillers
- June 11 renegades game to salute our armed forces - Rome Renegades
- Fever look to extend winning streak - Tri-Cities Fever
- ThunderBolts fight to stay in playoff picture - Lakeland ThunderBolts
- Kreatures to hold St. Cloud Youth Football Night - Kissimmee Kreatures
- Lubbock Gunslingers to Hold $6000 Give Away - Lubbock GunSlingers
- Lubbock Gunslingers Gunning for Breast Cancer - Lubbock GunSlingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.