Drillers Drop Series Finale in Extras
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR - The Tulsa Drillers looked to gain more ground on the Arkansas Travelers in the Texas League North standings in their series finale Sunday afternoon. But, the Drillers failed to hold a late lead and were unable to score in extra innings and fell 7-6 in 11 innings.
WHAT YOU MISSED:
A pair of back-to-back solo home runs by the Travelers got the scoring started in the first. Evan White hit a homer on a high fly ball to center, then on the very next pitch, Dom Thompson-Williams followed with another homer to give the Travs a 2-0 lead.
Tulsa came back to tie the game 2-2 in the fifth. Steve Berman singled to center to bring DJ Peters and Zach McKinstry around to score.
The Drillers took the lead in the sixth. After a single and a double put runners at second and third, McKinstry hit a sacrifice fly that scored Angelo Mora from third.
Arkansas answered to retake the lead in the sixth. An error by Christian Santana allowed Donnie Walton to score, tying the game at 3-3.
Tulsa took the lead back in the top of the seventh. Berman and Logan Landon drew back-to-back bases loaded walks and Omar Estevez scored on a wild pitch to give the Drillers a 6-3 lead.
The Travelers scored another in the seventh when Walton singled, scoring Aaron Knapp from second to bring the score to 6-4.
In the eighth, Arkansas' Chris Mariscal hit a two-run, pinch-hit home run to tie the game at 6-6.
The Drillers were unable to score in the tenth and eleventh innings.
In the bottom of the eleventh Joseph Odom opened the inning with a sacrifice bunt, moving Mariscal from second to third. Walton would then give the Travis a 7-6 win with a walk-off single.
Starting pitcher Mitchell White had another good outing going 5.2 innings with seven strike outs and only two earned runs.
Tulsa falls to 2.5 games back of the Travelers in the Texas League North standings.
UP NEXT: Tulsa at NW Arkansas, Monday, May 13 at 7:05 PM at Arvest Ballpark in Springdale, AR. Tulsa pitcher TBD vs. RHP Connor Greene (2-2. 3.79 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Strong Start by Perez Leads Cardinals to 5-2 Win over Naturals - Springfield Cardinals
- Travs Rally Late for Extra Inning Win on Mother's Day - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Drop Series Finale in Extras - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Drop Finale, 5-2 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Sod Poodles Steal Sunday Finale, 4-2 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Profar Propels Riders to 10-Inning Win in Midland - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- Drillers TCL Team Begins Play as MiLB Season Is Officially Cancelled
- July 3 and 4- Fireworks and High School Baseball
- Live Baseball Returns to ONEOK Field with First-Ever Game for Drillers TCL Team Set for June 30
- ONEOK Field to Host High School Senior Baseball Series July 3 & 4 Presented by Tulsa Tech
- ONEOK Field, Drillers to Host Team in Elite Collegiate League