Drillers donate 100 game tickets to 644th Transportation Company returning from Iraq
BEAUMONT, TX -- The Beaumont Drillers of the National Indoor Football League have donated 100 game tickets for this Sunday's home game against San Angelo at Ford Arena to 100 soldiers of the 644th Transportation Company in Beaumont, Texas, that have returned from Iraq after being mobilized in January 2004 for Operation Iraqi Freedom II.
This reserve unit was responsible for delivering supplies to units and performed over 500 missions throughout the Sunni Triangle delivering over 190,000 tons of supplies and millions of gallons of fuel while also training Iraqi Nationals. The unit has since received three Purple Hearts, 15 Bronze Star Medals and 116 Army Commendation Medals.
The City of Beaumont will honor the soldiers with a "Welcome Home" parade and ceremony on Friday, March 11 starting at noon. Gift baskets will be given to each soldier and included in each basket, will be Beaumont Driller game tickets.
"This is just a small way our organization can show its support and give appreciation to our local soldiers who have dedicated their time to help with the war efforts," said Drillers General Manager Steve Reap. "They have been away from their homes for over a year, and we are excited to have them as our guests for our home game this Sunday."
Detachment Officer Scott Haywood was very excited when Mr. Reap arrived at the Army Reserve Center on Thursday to deliver the tickets. "Our soldiers will be excited to know that everyone from back home supports them," said Officer Haywood. "They will appreciate the fact that an organization like the Beaumont Drillers would give them tickets to one of their games."
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from March 10, 2005
- Daytona Beach Hawgs training camp report - Daytona Beach Hawgs
- Drillers donate 100 game tickets to 644th Transportation Company returning from Iraq - Beaumont Drillers
- ThunderBolts unveil striking new uniforms - Lakeland ThunderBolts
- Drillers announce ticket special for Sunday game - Beaumont Drillers
- Drillers make roster moves - Beaumont Drillers
- Hawks Nest Fan Club - Everett Hawks
- NIFL President Carolyn Shiver to appear on premier of "Under the Roof" tonight - OSC Original by OurSports Central press release
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.