Dorminy Dominant in 3-1 Win
Central Islip, N.Y. - The Somerset Patriots (27-18) carried a dominant starting pitching performance and some timely hitting to a 3-1 win over the Long Island Ducks (28-16) Wednesday night at Bethpage Ballpark.
Both teams stranded a combined nine baserunners over the first four innings of the game before Somerset broke through in the fifth. A two-out rally, culminating in an Edwin Espinal RBI infield single, provided the Patriots with a 1-0 lead.
The lead increased to 3-0 the next inning on a Justin Pacchioli RBI double and an Alfredo Rodriguez sacrifice fly.
Long Island scratched together their lone run of the night in the bottom of the seventh on an Ezequiel Carerra sacrifice fly.
That ended an impressive evening for Somerset starter Thomas Dorminy (W, 1-4). The lefty scattered one run on seven hits with seven strikeouts across seven innings.
Luis Cruz and Mike Antonini (S, 17) held the Ducks off the board over the final two innings to seal the win.
Long Island starter Jake Fisher (L, 3-5) allowed three runs (two earned) across six innings to get saddled with the loss.
The Patriots and Ducks conclude their three-game series Thursday night. Ryan Kussmaul (1-0, 1.50 ERA) takes the mound for Somerset against Long Island righty Alec Asher (3-1, 4.11 ERA). First pitch at Bethpage Ballpark scheduled for 6:35 pm.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue on the road until Friday, June 14th when the team returns to TD Bank Ballpark for a 7:05 pm game against the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, including a postgame fireworks show. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher Thomas Dorminy
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Power And Pitching Propel Bees To Victory Over Blue Crabs - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Offense Stymied by Somerset - Long Island Ducks
- Dorminy Dominant in 3-1 Win - Somerset Patriots
- Daryl Thompson Makes History Despite Blue Crabs Loss - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Lancaster Takes Wednesday Matinee, 12-5 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Rockers Change Friday Start Times - High Point Rockers
- Revs Register Another Blowout of Rockers in Tuesday's Twinbill - York Revolution
- Messy Second Costs 'Stormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Patriots Take Control of First Place with 4-1 Win over Ducks
- Somerset Patriots Add OF/INF Dario Pizzano
- Patriots Move into First Place Tie with 5-2 Win over Ducks
- Somerset Patriots Sign RHP Jonathan Cheshire
- Somerset Patriots Enjoy 6 Straight 6,000+ Fan Attendances