'DOGS FALL 6-5 IN NEAR 3RD PERIOD COMEBACK
The 'Dogs lead the season series against the 67s 2 games to 1, with the lone loss being an overtime defeat in October. Most recently, the IceDogs defeated the 67s 3-0 in December, in Ottawa. The 67s come into this game following 3 consecutive overtime/shootout losses.
The 67s pounced early to get an early 1-0 lead, but within 10 minutes, Elijah Roberts evened the score by tipping in an errant Ben Jones shot! Kirill Maksimov was credited with the secondary assist. Late in the 1st period, the puck was mishandled deep in the defensive zone and it found its way between Dhillons' legs giving the 67s a 2-1 lead heading into the 2nd.
The 67s capitalized on an early powerplay in the 2nd period, but it was Billy Constantinou who stepped up to keep the 'Dogs in it! Constantinou's goal seemed to spring the boys in a big way, as they looked to have an extra jump in their step. After trading chances back and forth, the 67s came back to score 2 back to back unanswered goals.
The third period got off to a much better start for the IceDogs, scoring two powerplay goals after the 67s extended their lead to 4. First, it was Johnny Corneil who cut the score to 6-3 at the tail end of the powerplay. Ottawa native Oliver Castleman, and Liam Ham were credited with the assists on the captains' goal! Then, Akil Thomas got the boys within 2 goals with his 14th goal of the season! Danial Singer and Sam Miletic picked up the assists. With just over a minute left, with the extra attacker, Sam Miletic got the 'Dogs within one, assisted by Will Lochead Despite firing on all cylinders, the 'Dogs couldn't tie the game up to send it to overtime. They fell 6-5 in regulation to the 67s.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Firebirds Win Third Straight on Home-Ice in Flint, Top #4 Sarnia 3-2 Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Generals' Kenny Huether Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week - OHL
- 67's SURGE PAST ICEDOGS, 6-5, IN WEEKEND OPENER - Ottawa 67's
- 'DOGS FALL 6-5 IN NEAR 3RD PERIOD COMEBACK - Niagara IceDogs
- OHL Academic Players of the Month for January - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Niagara IceDogs Stories
- Dogs' Donate $19,030 to Canadian Cancer Society
- Dogs to Donate $19,030 to Canadian Cancer Society
- IceDogs' Prospects Excel at OHL Gold Cup
- Thomas Among 6 Players Added to Canadian 2018 IIHF U18 World Championship Roster
- IceDogs Raise $32,803.15 in Support of Smilezone Foundation