Denver Sweeps Wichita in Overtime
Denver - The Denver Cutthroats come back to defeat the Wichita Thunder 6-5 in overtime on Saturday, October 26, 2013. This is the second longest winning streak in the franchise's history.
The Cutthroats took an early lead with a shorthanded goal by T.J. Fox (Garett Bembridge, Steve Kaunisto). The opening period finished quietly with Denver defending the lead 1-0.
The Wichita Thunder took a strong lead in the second period, scoring four consecutive goals over the Denver Cutthroats. Wichita's Nick McParland (Mike Wilson, Jon Booras) made the first goal during a Thunder power play to tie the game 1-1. Dustin Donaghy gave Wichita the lead nine minutes into the second period with an unassisted goal. Matt Robinson pushed Wichita's lead with a shorthanded goal and an assist from Jared Walker. Wilson (Booras, McParland) scored the team's second power play goal of the night to put the score at 4-1 Thunder. Denver's Michael Schumacher (Kaunisto, A.J. Gale) shut down Wichita's run for Denver's first power play goal of the night. The second period ended with the Thunder leading 4-2.
The Cutthroats came back strong in the third period, with Robin Soudek (Troy Schwab, Schumacher) sending the puck past Wichita's Taylor Nelson on the power play. Just seconds later, the Cutthroats struck again as Cam Reid (Soudek, Schwab) found the back of the net to tie the score 4-4. Soudek (Reid, Nick Schneider) made his second goal of the night to give Denver the lead by one with seven minutes remaining in the period. Wichita's Robinson (McParland, Booras) sent the game into overtime with less than two minutes in regulation.
In an exhilarating overtime, the Cutthroats defeated the Thunder 6-5 with a final goal from Gale (Schwab, Aaron MacKenzie). Denver looks to match its franchise long winning streak on Wednesday, October 30 against the Brampton Beast.
Join the Cutthroats for Hammond's Haunted Halloween Bash at the Denver Coliseum at 7:00 PM on Wednesday, October 30. Make sure to wear your best costume!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 27, 2013
- Chill Earn First Franchise Win in Shootout - St. Charles Chill
- Mallards Fall in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers End Weekend with 3-2 Loss to Allen - Tulsa Oilers
- Missouri's Man Advantage Seals Sundogs' 4-1 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Take 4-1 Victory in Arizona - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans' Two-Man Advantage Dooms Oilers' Home Opener - Tulsa Oilers
- Denver Sweeps Wichita in Overtime - Denver Cutthroats
- Chill Overcomes 5-0 Deficit But Fall to Mallards - St. Charles Chill
- Thunder Drops Overtime Tilt 6-5 in Denver - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster