Denver Outlaws Lose 24-22 to Chesapeake BayHawks in Back-and-Forth Game on Sunday
DENVER - The Denver Outlaws fell 24-22 in a back-and-forth, high-scoring game to the Chesapeake Bayhawks on Sunday at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
Despite scoring a season-high 22 goals and rallying from a five-score fourth-quarter deficit, Denver was never able to overcome a Chesapeake 13-point third quarter and four two-goal tallies.
Midfielder Drew Snider led all scorers with a career-high six goals-representing only the 20th six-goal game in Outlaws history. Attackman Kylor Bellistri, acquired on Wednesday in a trade with the Boston Cannons, tallied four goals in his Outlaws debut.
Attackman Matt Kavanagh totaled seven points on five goals and two assists, while attackman Shawn Evans contributed four points (1 goal, 3 assists). Following today's games, Kavanagh ranks first and second in Major League Lacrosse in goals (19) and points (26), respectively.
Snider recorded a hat trick in the opening quarter, guiding Denver to a 5-4 lead after the first stanza. Snider's fourth of the game gave Denver an 8-7 lead with 4:41 left in the first half, but a Chesapeake goal in the final minute sent the teams into the break with an 8-8 tie.
Denver opened the second half with a 7-4 run to take a 15-12 lead, however Chesapeake answered with a 9-1 run of their own to take a 21-16 lead into the final quarter. The Bayhawks' explosive third quarter included three of their four two-point goals.
The Outlaws rallied late in the fourth quarter behind three of Kavanagh's tallies and outscored the Bayhawks 6-3 in the final frame. However, Chesapeake was able to run the final two minutes off the clock and add an insurance goal to provide the final margin.
Denver (1-4) returns to action at home on Saturday night to take on the currently unbeaten Charlotte Hounds (4-0) at 7 p.m. MDT.
In partnership with Altitude Sports and Entertainment, all 2018 Denver Outlaws home games will air on a same-day tape delay on Altitude Sports. Today's game will air at 8 p.m.
The full broadcast schedule can be seen below.
Altitude Broadcast Schedule
Date Game Broadcast Time
Sun. 5/13 Che. @ Den. 8 p.m.
Sat. 5/19 Cha. @ Den. 1 a.m.
Thur. 6/7 Ohio @ Den. 8 p.m.
Sat. 6/16 Fla. @ Den. Midnight
Wed. 7/4 Bos. @ Den. 1 a.m.
Sun. 7/22 Dal. @ Den. 8 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from May 13, 2018
- Denver Outlaws Lose 24-22 to Chesapeake BayHawks in Back-and-Forth Game on Sunday - Denver Outlaws
- Atlanta Blaze Sweep Series Season against Boston Cannons - Atlanta Blaze
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Outlaws Stories
- Denver Outlaws Lose 24-22 to Chesapeake BayHawks in Back-and-Forth Game on Sunday
- Denver Outlaws to Honor Mothers During Sunday's 'Real Men Weak Pink' Game against Chesapeake
- Denver Outlaws Acquire Attackman Kylor Bellistri in Trade with Boston Cannons
- Denver Outlaws Lose 16-7 to Florida Launch in Second Game of Weekend Doubleheader
- Denver Outlaws to Face Florida Launch on Sunday in Second Game of Weekend Double-Header