Delaware Blue Coats Acquire Returning Player Rights to Xavier Munford from Wisconsin Herd
WILMINGTON - The Delaware Blue Coats, the NBA G League affiliate of the Philadelphia 76ers, announced today that the team has acquired the returning player rights to Xavier Munford from the Wisconsin Herd. Delaware also received the No. 46 and No. 86 overall selections in the 2019 NBA G League Draft. In exchange, the Blue Coats sent the returning player rights to DJ Hogg and the No. 8, No. 59 and No. 64 overall selections in the 2019 NBA G League Draft to the Herd. The trade is not subject to player physicals.
Munford (6-3, 190) appeared in 14 games (11 starts) last season with the Herd, tallying 18.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 5.4 assists in 34.0 minutes per game. He rejoined the team in January, following a stint with the Fujian Sturgeons of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA). In 34 games with the Herd during the 2017-18 G League campaign, Munford averaged 24.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 5.3 assists in 36.7 minutes per game while earning Midseason All-NBA G League Team honors. Munford then signed a two-way contract with the Milwaukee Bucks in Jan. 2018 and appeared in six games at the NBA level.
Over his five G League seasons, Munford holds lifetime averages of 17.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 4.8 assists in 31.5 minutes per game and was named a 2016 G League All-Star. He was recently one of 12 players selected to the NBA G League Elite Team that participated in the 2019 NBA G League International Challenge presented by Antel this month in Uruguay. Munford averaged 11.0 points per game on .538 shooting from beyond the arc in four games.
For his NBA career, Munford has earned a pair of GATORADE Call-Ups and has appeared in 20 career regular-season contests across two seasons with Memphis (2015-16) and Milwaukee (2017-18). The 27-year-old holds career NBA averages of 4.2 points, 1.6 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 13.3 minutes per contest. He appeared in all four of the Grizzlies playoff games in 2016, posting 4.8 points, 2.5 assists and a team-high-tying 1.5 steals in 22.3 minutes per game.
The New Jersey native has represented the United States in international competition on multiple occasions, including last February as a member of the World Cup Qualifying Team that finished with a 10-2 record and successfully qualified Team USA for this past summer's FIBA World Cup in China.
At the collegiate level, Munford played his final two seasons at the University of Rhode Island. He enrolled at Rhode Island after being named a 2011-12 NJCAA Division I All-American at Iowa Western College. As a senior for the Rams in 2013-14, Munford scored his 1,000th career point on March 1, needing only 59 total games to reach the milestone.
In 43 games for the Blue Coats last season, Hogg averaged 10.6 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 24.4 minutes per game.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from September 25, 2019
- Matt Lilly Promoted to Blue Coats General Manager - Delaware Blue Coats
- NAZ Suns 2019-20 Single-Game Tickets on Sale - Northern Arizona Suns
- Wisconsin Herd Acquires D.J. Hogg and Three 2019 Draft Picks from Delaware - Wisconsin Herd
- Delaware Blue Coats Acquire Returning Player Rights to Xavier Munford from Wisconsin Herd - Delaware Blue Coats
- Mad Ants Finalize 2019-20 Basketball Operations and Front Office Personnel - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delaware Blue Coats Stories
- Blue Coats Post Team's Highest 76ers Fieldhouse-Scoring Total with 141 Points in Win over Greensboro
- Blue Coats Fall to Red Claws in Season Opener
- Delaware Blue Coats Finalize 2019-20 Opening Night Roster
- Delaware Blue Coats Waive Four Players
- Delaware Blue Coats Launch 'Blue Coats Week'