DeCaro Named CHL Goalie of the Month for March
BOSSIER CITY, LA - The Central Hockey League today announced Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs goaltender John DeCaro as the winner of the Sher-Wood/CHL Goaltender of the Month award for March. DeCaro won four of his five starts during the final month of the regular season on the way to his third Goalie of the Month honor.
DeCaro posted a 1.78 goals-against average, .937 saves percentage and one shutout on his way to a 4-1-0 record during March. The longtime Mudbug ended the regular season with wins in nine of his last 13 starts to reach the 20-win mark for the fourth time in his five years as a pro.
In his first start of the month, DeCaro blanked the Texas Brahmas with 23 saves in a 6-0 win back on March 6. The shutout was the 17th of his CHL career, tying him with Mike Gorman for fourth in Central Hockey League history in that category. Six days later the Marysville, Washington native shut down the Brahmas again, making 17 stops in a 5-1 Bossier-Shreveport triumph.
DeCaro's winning streak continued with memorable performances on back-to-back nights during a late season road trip. In Fort Wayne on March 18, he made 23 saves during regulation and overtime before turning aside seven of eight Komets in the shootout to help the "Bugs come away with a 3-2 victory. The very next night DeCaro set a new career high with 49 saves, backstopping a 4-2 win over Bloomington as the Mudbugs were outshot 51-23. That performance tied for the third-most saves ever made by a Mudbugs goaltender in a single game.
For the season, DeCaro posted a 20-12-1 record with a 2.61 GAA, a .899 SV% and two shutouts. Among his many career accolades are two CHL Most Outstanding Goaltender awards, two spots on the All-CHL Team and two All-Star appearances in addition to single-season league records for goals-against average, saves percentage, shutouts and shutout streak set during 2007-08.
DeCaro and his Mudbugs teammates are currently preparing to start the 2011 CHL playoffs this Friday and Saturday with Games 1 and 2 of their Opening Round series against Arizona at the CenturyTel Center.
Mudbugs playoff packages and group tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by phone at 752-BUGS or in person at the team office inside the CTC. Single game playoff tickets are available now can be purchased at the CenturyTel Center box office, through Ticketmaster at 318-741-9700 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. For all the latest team news and information, visit www.mudbugshockey.com .
Season and group tickets are on sale by calling 318-752-BUGS (2847) or by visiting our website at www.mudbugshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2011
- Mavericks Fall to Thunder in Game One, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Defense Stands Tall in Game One - Wichita Thunder
- Mudbugs Unveil 2011 Playoff Theme - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- DeCaro Named CHL Goalie of the Month for March - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sher-Wood/CHL Goaltender of the Month Announced - CHL
- IceMen Weekly News - Evansville IceMen
- Playoff Roster Revealed, Coach Wildfong Suspended - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sher-Wood/CHL Player of the Month Announced - CHL
- Thinel Named CHL's Player of the Month - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mavericks Open Playoffs Tonight in Wichita, Sign Amateur - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Playoff Away Game Watch Partie Announced - Mississippi RiverKings
- Thunder and Mavericks Open Playoffs Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Perugini Added to Playoff Roster - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.