David Cook Promoted to Charlotte
HOOVER - The Chicago White Sox promoted Barons outfielder David Cook to Class Triple-A Charlotte on Wednesday. Cook was tied for the Southern League lead in RBI with 59 and was second in the league with 17 home runs at the time of his promotion. His .520 slugging percentage placed him fourth. The former Barons outfielder was scheduled to start in left field and bat cleanup for the South Division All-Star team at the 2009 Southern League All-Star Game on July 13. He was also slated to participate in the 2009 Southern League Home Run Derby at Rickwood Field. No replacement has been named for either event. This marks Cook's second promotion to Triple-A. He hit .259 with 7 home runs and 26 RBI in 65 games for the Knights a year ago. Catcher Adam Ricks was promoted from Winston-Salem to take Cook's roster spot. He was hitting .271 with one home run and 14 RBI for the Single-A affiliate. Tickets to the 2009 Southern League All-Star Game as well as to the 2009 Southern League Home Run Derby and Celebrity Softball Game are available online at barons.com or by calling the Regions Park Box Office. Tickets for both events can also be purchased by visiting the Regions Park Box Office. The 2009 Southern League All-Star Game will be played on Monday, July 13 at Regions Park in Birmingham, AL. The Barons won the South Division First-Half Title and will open the playoffs on Thursday, September 10 at Regions Park. Game two will be played Friday, September 11 at Regions Park. Tickets to both games are available online, in-person at the Regions Park Box Office or by calling the Barons at (205) 988-3200.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 8, 2009
- Papelbon Returns To Smokies From Triple-A Iowa - Tennessee Smokies
- Jennings, Biscuits Batter Smokies in Opener Wednesday, 6-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Jaxx Hold off BayBears in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Jaxx Win Streak Reaches Seven with 3-2 Win Over Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Losing Streak Ends with Ninth Inning Rally, 6-3 - Montgomery Biscuits
- May Powers Looks Past Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Endure Stars - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Jordan Danks Named to Southern League All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Announce Celebrity Softball Game Information - Birmingham Barons
- Mahon Promoted, Septimo to BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- C Yamid Haad traded to Portland - Jackson Generals
- Home Run Derby Participants Announced - Birmingham Barons
- David Cook Promoted to Charlotte - Birmingham Barons
- One Time Only - AL Championship Trophy - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.