Dash GK Jane Campbell & MF Kristie Mewis Called in to U.S. National Team Camp
HOUSTON - Houston Dash goalkeeper Jane Campbell and midfielder Kristie Mewis were called in to the U.S. Women's National Team training camp prior to the Concacaf Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament, U.S. Soccer announced today.
Campbell, the youngest goalkeeper called into the U.S. women's training camp, made her senior international debut in Houston during a 5-1 USWNT victory over Russia at BBVA Stadium in April 2017. Since then, the Georgia native has earned two more caps for the national team, including an appearance in a 6-2 win over Mexico in Houston in April of 2018.
Last season with the Dash, Campbell earned the club's Most Valuable Player Award after doubling her clean sheet record with six and playing every minute of every game. The goalkeeper logged 2,160 minutes and was also voted the Players' Player of the Year by her teammates for the second consecutive year after finishing with 71 saves. The 24-year-old has received four year-end honors since joining the club, earning the Players' Player of the Year in 2018 and winning the Unsung Hero award in 2017.
Mewis earned her first call-up to the national team since 2014 after logging 20 starts in 22 appearances and scored four goals and one assist for Houston last season. It marks the culmination of a long road back from a season-ending knee injury suffered in May 2018.
Mewis was first called to the U.S. national training camp in January of 2013 in preparation for a friendly match against Scotland ahead of the Algarve Cup. She made her debut with the senior team a month later and was placed on the roster for 2013 Algarve Cup. The midfielder scored the game-winning goal in the third minute of a friendly match against South Korea on June in 2013 near her hometown in Massachusetts.
The Dash finished the 2019 season with a 7-5-12 record under first-year head coach James Clarkson. The Dash expect to kick off their 2020 campaign in mid-April. The 2020 schedule will be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 27, 2019
- DiBiasi, Hatch named to USWNT's December Identification Camp - Washington Spirit
- 13 NWSL Players Named to USWNT December Identification Camp - NWSL
- Dash GK Jane Campbell & MF Kristie Mewis Called in to U.S. National Team Camp - Houston Dash
- Dorsey, Killion, and Monaghan Named to 24-Player Roster for USWNT Identification Camp in Florida - Sky Blue FC
- Three Red Stars Called up to U.S. WNT Identification Camp - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Dash select Joelle Anderson & Makamae Gomera-Stevens at 2021 NWSL Draft
- Dash sign MF Emily Ogle and MF Gabby Seiler to multi-year contracts
- Three Houston Dash Players Make Top 100 Women Footballers List
- Dash re-sign Sophie Schmidt to multi-year contract
- Dash acquire Emily Ogle and Gabby Seiler from Portland Thorns