Dakota Wizards tops Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The Dakota Wizards clenched 1st place in the Central Division by defeating the Fort Wayne Mad Ants 114-106 in the final game of the regular season. With the victory the Wizards secured home court in the first round of the playoffs.
The Dakota Wizards dominated the first three quarters of play leading by as many as 16 points. They managed to make it to the free throw line 40 more times than the Mad Ants, connecting on 35-48 from the charity stripe. The Mad Ants made a fourth quarter push to bring the score within 7 points, but Dakota's Carlos Powell was too much for the Ants scoring 18 of his 33 points in the final quarter.
All five starters including Powell scored in double figures for the Wizards. Big men Rod Benson and Kevin Lyde pulled down 9 rebounds apiece while scoring 22 and 18 points respectively. Guard David Bell added 17 points while Tony Gipson chipped in 14.
For the Mad Ants final game of the season, point guard Earl Calloway led the Mad Ants with 31 points scoring 22 points in the second half. Eric Smith came off the bench to record a career high 23 points. Dahntay Jones chipped in 19 for the Ants.
The Wizards will continue their season through the play-offs with hopes of repeating as NBA D-League champs.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 12, 2008
- Anaheim shoots 64 percent in the opening period to roast Jam, 120-99 - Bakersfield Jam
- 14ers Sweep Thunderbirds for the Season - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- 2008 NBA Development League Playoff Schedule Set - G League
- Three double-doubles help Stampede win fifth straight going into playoffs - Idaho Stampede
- Flash franchise record leads to victory over Defenders - Utah Flash
- Dakota Wizards tops Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Tulsa drops Austin in regular season finale - Austin Spurs
- Idaho's Bryan Gates Earns Second Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year Award - G League
- Morris Almond Earns Inaugural D-League Impact Player of the Year Award - G League
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Steve Gansey Named Head Coach of Indiana Pacers Summer League Team
- : Trey McKinney Jones to Attend June USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp
- Mad Ants Nominated for Small Business of the Year Award
- Gansey, Orris to Participate in Celebrity Softball Challenge
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Announce Priority Home Dates for 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule