Idaho's Bryan Gates Earns Second Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year Award
April 12, 2008 - NBA G League (G League) News Release
NEW YORK, April 12, 2008 - Bryan Gates, the head coach of the Idaho Stampede, has earned his second consecutive Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year award as voted by his fellow NBA Development League head coaches. Gates will be honored by D-League Vice President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel Chris Alpert prior to the Stampede's final home game today at Qwest Arena in Boise.
The award is named in honor of former NBA playing great, NBA and D-League coach Dennis Johnson, who passed away unexpectedly at age 52 on Feb. 22, 2007 after conducting practice for the Austin Toros, where he was coaching in his second season. In his playing career, Johnson won three NBA titles, played in five NBA All-Star games and was named to the All-Defensive First Team six times. He served as interim head coach of the Los Angeles Clippers in 2002 and was in his third season coaching in the D-League.
In his second season as head coach, Gates helmed a Stampede team that etched an 18-game winning streak into the D-League record books en route to the team's second Western Division title in as many seasons. Randy Livingston, the 2007 D-League Most Valuable Player broke a record of his own under Gates' watchful eye, recording 22 assists on Dec. 26.
"For the second year in a row, Bryan Gates is being recognized for his commitment to developing his players and delivering winning basketball to the Boise community," said Alpert. "Under his guidance, the Idaho Stampede has enjoyed another successful season, which included an 18-game winning streak."
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 12, 2008
- Anaheim shoots 64 percent in the opening period to roast Jam, 120-99 - Bakersfield Jam
- 14ers Sweep Thunderbirds for the Season - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- 2008 NBA Development League Playoff Schedule Set - G League
- Three double-doubles help Stampede win fifth straight going into playoffs - Idaho Stampede
- Flash franchise record leads to victory over Defenders - Utah Flash
- Dakota Wizards tops Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Tulsa drops Austin in regular season finale - Austin Spurs
- Idaho's Bryan Gates Earns Second Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year Award - G League
- Morris Almond Earns Inaugural D-League Impact Player of the Year Award - G League
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.