D.C. United signs defender Ibrahim Koroma
WASHINGTON, D.C. (September 12, 2008)- D.C. United announced today the club has signed Sierra Leone native Ibrahim "Marcel" Koroma to a senior developmental contract. In order to accommodate the defender, United acquired an international roster spot from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for a 2009 natural fourth round SuperDraft pick. The 19-year old has been playing in the Sierra Leone Premier League for the past three seasons and also has international experience, earning nine caps with his country's national team.
"We are intrigued by the fact that Ibrahim has recently broken into the full national team of Sierra Leone as a starter for World Cup qualifying matches," said United General Manager Dave Kasper. "At 19, he has a long career ahead of him and we are excited to put him into our environment and make him better."
Koroma's entire professional career to this point has been as a member of Sierra Leone side Kallon FC. During his three seasons with the club, he appeared in 83 games and scored 13 goals. Koroma has achieved several domestic honors with the club, including a League title and the Sierra Leone FA Cup in the 2006-2007 season. While a member of Kallon FC, he also appeared in four matches in the Confederation of African Football's 2007 Champions League, before the team fell to Ivory Coast's ASEC Mimosas.
Koroma represented Sierra Leone as part of the U-17, U-20 and U-23 national teams, before making his senior team debut in 2007. Since then, he has represented his country on nine occasions and was selected to play for the National Team in its CAF Cup of Nations and World Cup qualifying campaign, playing as a starter in Sierra Leone's matches against Nigeria, South Africa and Equatorial Guinea this summer.
United also announced it has moved midfielder Craig Thompson from a senior developmental roster spot to a developmental spot. Since joining United on June 30, Thompson has appeared in six League games (two starts) totaling 241 minutes on the field. He has also played in five reserve division matches (all starts) for the Black-and-Red.
Name: Ibrahim "Marcel" Koroma
Date of Birth: 05-17-1989
Place of Birth: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Hometown: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Citizenship: Sierra Leone
Last Club: Kallon FC (SL/1)
Acquired: Signed to a senior developmental 9/12/08
Status: Senior Developmental
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2008
- Earthquakes Look to Stretch Unbeaten Streak to Nine Games Saturday, September 13 Against Houston - San Jose Earthquakes
- Fans Encouraged to Arrive Early due to Arrowhead Stadium Construction - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United signs defender Ibrahim Koroma - D.C. United
- D.C. United signs Thabiso Khumalo and Greg Janicki - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Trade Hunter Freeman To Toronto - New York Red Bulls
- Defender Hunter Freeman signs with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Audi Field Named as Host Venue for Week 6 Premier League Lacrosse Games
- D.C. United Announce Cherry Blossom Night on April 9
- Loudoun United FC Announce Groundbreaking Ceremony for Loudoun United Stadium
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Griffin Yow as 12th Homegrown in Club History
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week