D.C. United Appoint Luke Jenkinson as First Team Performance Director
January 23, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - D.C. United News Release
WASHINGTON, D.C. - D.C. United have hired Luke Jenkinson as the new First Team Performance Director to oversee players' strength and conditioning in addition to injury prevention. Jenkinson previously held the role of Head of Performance for Derby County who are currently in the third tier of English soccer, League One. Jenkinson rejoins Head Coach Wayne Rooney after working alongside the Englishman at Derby County in the English Championship during the 2019-'20 season.
"Bringing Luke to the club as the performance director is a testament to our commitment towards bringing in top class leadership to the first team," Dave Kasper, D.C. United President of Soccer Operations, said. "His close relationship with Wayne at Derby County will be valuable for us and we look forward to integrating his experience and soccer knowledge to ensure our players are physically prepared for the 2023 season."
Jenkinson joined Derby County from Sheffield United in 2016 and first held the role of Head of Academy Strength and Conditioning. His success with the academy resulted in a promotion to the first team as Head of Sports Science and Academy Medicine where he worked directly with players in order to maximize their physical strength and conditioning.
"I'm looking forward to getting started with an exciting project at D.C. United." Jenkinson said. "I worked closely with Wayne [Rooney] during his time at Derby County so it's exciting to rejoin him in MLS; a league that has grown exponentially over the last few years. I want to thank ownership and Dave Kasper for the opportunity and I can't wait to get started."
Jenkinson started his career at Sheffield United in 2010 as a part-time intern which then turned into a full-time position. At first, Jenkinson was in charge of the athletic development of Sheffield United's U9 to U-16 side as Lead Academy Strength and Conditioning Coach. Over time, he helped Sheffield United become one of the top academies in the country before venturing onto Derby County.
Jenkinson has over 10 years of experience in soccer and holds a number of qualifications, including a First Class Honors Degree in Sport and Exercise Science, as well as a Masters of Research in Sport and Exercise Science and is currently working towards a Professional Doctorate in Sport and Exercise Science. Jenkinson also holds the Football Association (FA) Level 2 Coaching Badge award and in 2019 won the UK Strength and Conditioning Association Coach of the Year award.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 23, 2023
- Rapids Ready for Second Preseason Contest with Mineros de Zacatecas in Querétaro - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC 2023 Partial Season Ticket Packages Now on Sale - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: IMcF DonBorello to Compete in eMLS League Series 1 - Inter Miami CF
- El Fantasma to Perform Halftime Show for Match against LAFC at Levi's Stadium on May 6 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Use TAM to Sign Attacker Amine Bassi - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster for 2023 Preseason - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Appoint Luke Jenkinson as First Team Performance Director - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Signs Agreement with Arca Continental Coca-Cola Southwest Beverages - Houston Dynamo FC
- 2023 eMLS League Series One Pres. by Coca-Cola Zero Sugar Preview: Joksan Returns for Second Season with Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew Acquires International Roster Slot Via Trade with Sporting Kansas City - Columbus Crew SC
- Sporting KC Acquires $190,000 in GAM - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Transfer Midfielder Samuel Grandsir to Ligue 2 Side Le Havre AC - LA Galaxy
- Defender Alexander Callens Departs New York City Football ClubÃÂ - New York City FC
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Irish Midfielder Connor Ronan from Wolverhampton Wanderers - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United Sign Defender Mikael Marques - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- MLS All-Stars to Face Arsenal FC at Audi Field
- D.C. United Sign Nottingham Forest Midfielder Lewis O'Brien on Loan
- D.C. United Announce New Premium Seat Offerings at Audi Field
- D.C. United Appoint Carl Robinson as Assistant Coach
- D.C. United Loan Defender Gaoussou Samake and Midfielder Jeremy Garay to Loudoun United FC