D.C. United Acquire Midfielder Drew Skundrich
WASHINGTON, D.C. - D.C. United announced today the acquisition of midfielder Drew Skundrich from their United Soccer League (USL) affiliate, Loudoun United FC. The 25-year-old has signed a one-year deal through 2021 with two option years that could keep him at the club through 2023.
"We have been impressed with Drew throughout his time with D.C. United in preseason," Dave Kasper, D.C. United President of Soccer Operations and Sporting Director, said. "He has been consistently training with us and already has experience playing in Hernan's system. Drew is a versatile midfielder and his work rate on the field fits our high tempo playing style. We are excited about Drew joining the Black-and-Red and we're looking forward to integrating him into the roster ahead of the matches this weekend."
Skundrich was selected 40th overall by the LA Galaxy in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, and he signed his first professional contract with the Bethlehem Steel (now Philadelphia Union II) in the USL Championship on March 14, 2018. In his first season in the USL, Skundrich scored two goals and recorded three assists in 28 USL appearances including two appearances in the USL playoffs. Following his successful first season, Skundrich signed with fellow USL side, Sacramento Republic, on Dec. 10, 2018. In two seasons with the Republic, the midfielder scored four goals and recorded five assists in 49 appearances across all competitions. After his stint with Sacramento, Skundrich signed for Loudoun United FC on Feb. 8, 2021.
Prior to his professional career, Skundrich played four years of collegiate soccer at Stanford University in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I from 2014 to 2017. During his time at Stanford, he made 82 appearances, scoring nine goals, and recording 13 assists. The midfielder, who served as team captain during his junior and senior year, played an integral role in Stanford's three consecutive NCAA Division I National Championships (2015-2017) and was named to the All-Pac-12 First Team and Top Drawer Soccer Best XI Second Team in 2017.
Player: Drew Skundrich
Birthplace: Lancaster, PA
Hometown: Lancaster, PA
Weight: 165 lbs
Transaction: D.C. United acquire midfielder Drew Skundrich on a one-year guaranteed contract with an additional two option years.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 12, 2021
- Sporting Falls 1-0 to Houston - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Battle Philadelphia Union to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
- Toronto Fc (2) Ã¢ÂÂ Columbus Sc (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Przybylko scores his first goal of the MLS regular season in draw - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Reed Baker-Whiting - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquire Midfielder Drew Skundrich - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Delivers Food to Medical Professionals in Honor of National Hospital Week - FC Dallas
- Red Bulls' Caden Clark Confirming Place in Young Goals History: MLS Week 5 News and Notes - MLS
- City's Top Performers Through the First Month of 2021 - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Loans Seven Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Sacramento Republic FC - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: May 12, 2021 - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United, Mercedes-Benz Stadium to offer COVID-19 vaccinations during Saturday's match - Atlanta United FC
- Rising Talent of MLS NEXT Set to Compete in Dallas Area this Summer - MLS
- Statement from Orlando City SC Majority Owner Flavio Augusto Da Silva on Club Sale - Orlando City SC
- Nashville Soccer Club's IMPACT Soccer Program Returns in 2021 - Nashville SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at San Jose Earthquakes - May 12, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus SC Travels to Florida to Face Toronto FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Inter Miami CF at Audi Field
- D.C. United to Play CF Montreal at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale on June 23
- Mark Ingram II Joins D.C. United Ownership Group
- D.C. United Win 3-0 against Inter Miami CF on the Road
- D.C. United Midfielder Edison Flores Sustains Hamstring Injury