Cyclones Head Back East
Cincinnati, OH- The ECHL has announced their divisional realignment plan for the 2016-2017 season. As a result of this plan, the Cyclones will now be members of the Eastern Conference's South Division. The move marks a return to the Eastern Conference for Cincinnati, who spent last season in the Western Conference as members of the Midwest Division.
The Cyclones will be joining the Atlanta Gladiators, Florida Everblades, Greenville Swamp Rabbits, Norfolk Admirals, Orlando Solar Bears, and South Carolina Stingrays. Cincinnati's former divisional foes Ft. Wayne, Indy, and Quad City remain in the Western Conference as members of the new Central Division.
Cincinnati has five games against their new divisional rivals- two with Atlanta (11/18 in Cincinnati and 1/14 in Atlanta), two with Greenville (1/15 and 4/7 in Greenville) and one with South Carolina (4/8 in South Carolina). The Cyclones skated in nine games against South Division teams in 2015-2016, compiling a 3-5-1-0 record in those contests.
The League has also announced a new playoff format to go along with the realignment. The top four teams in each division will make the playoffs, with rounds one and two being played against divisional opponents.
Full ECHL Realignment
NORTH DIVISION - Adirondack, Brampton, Elmira, Manchester, Reading, Wheeling
SOUTH DIVISION - Atlanta, Cincinnati, Florida, Greenville, Norfolk, Orlando, South Carolina
CENTRAL DIVISION - Fort Wayne, Indy, Kalamazoo, Quad City, Toledo, Tulsa, Wichita
MOUNTAIN DIVISION - Alaska, Allen, Colorado, Idaho, Missouri, Rapid City, Utah
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 11, 2016
- Mallards Sign Rookie Goaltender Milliron - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers to Compete in North Division in 2016-17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Stays in New-Look Central Division - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Conference and Divisional Alignment for 2016-17 Season - ECHL
- Cyclones Head Back East - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades to Announce New Head Coach at Press Conference on Tuesday - Florida Everblades
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 4 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Offense Back on Track with Game 3 Win
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 3 vs. Kalamazoo
- Cyclones Fall in Game 2 of Opening Round
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 2 vs. Kalamazoo