ECHL Announces Conference and Divisional Alignment for 2016-17 Season
July 11, 2016 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced on Monday the divisional alignment for the 2016-17 season.
As approved by the Board of Governors, the Conference and Divisional alignment for the 2016-17 Season will be as follows:
Adirondack Thunder, Brampton Beast, Elmira Jackals, Manchester Monarchs, Reading Royals, Wheeling Nailers
Atlanta Gladiators, Cincinnati Cyclones, Florida Everblades, Greenville Swamp Rabbits, Norfolk Admirals, Orlando Solar Bears, South Carolina Stingrays
Fort Wayne Komets, Indy Fuel, Kalamazoo Wings, Quad City Mallards, Toledo Walleye, Tulsa Oilers, Wichita Thunder
Alaska Aces, Allen Americans, Colorado Eagles, Idaho Steelheads, Missouri Mavericks, Rapid City Rush, Utah Grizzlies
The first two rounds of the Kelly Cup Playoffs will be played entirely within the division, with the division winner playing the fourth-place finisher and the second-place team meeting the third-place team in the Division Semifinals. The winners of each series will meet in the Division Finals, leading to the Conference Finals and Kelly Cup Finals.
The new format will allow most teams to have a better chance of playing traditional rivals in the first two rounds of the playoffs, and to allow for more economical travel.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 11, 2016
- Mallards Sign Rookie Goaltender Milliron - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers to Compete in North Division in 2016-17 - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Stays in New-Look Central Division - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Conference and Divisional Alignment for 2016-17 Season - ECHL
- Cyclones Head Back East - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades to Announce New Head Coach at Press Conference on Tuesday - Florida Everblades
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.