Cushing Reaction: "Maxi Moralez Was Exceptional."
New York City Football Club Interim Head Coach Nick Cushing has hailed Maxi Moralez's influence after his side's spirited comeback draw against FC Cincinnati.
The Boys in Blue fell to a three-nil deficit inside the first thirty minutes on Wednesday before rousing to score three goals in seven minutes to enter the half all square. Goals from Talles Magno and Héber evened things up, with Maxi Moralez the chief architect on the night registering three assists. That fact was not lost on Cushing and speaking to reporters after the game he was keen to celebrate the veteran playmaker.
"I thought Maxi was exceptional in the game with and without the ball - the leadership that he's shown I thought was top level," he said before later adding. "He was a real heartbeat of the team and really spurred us on and dragged us over the line at three nil down to get back in the game."
The 37-year-old also praised the spirit and resilience of his team on a night when they scored four unanswered goals to lead the game midway through the second half - Gabriel Pereira scoring a sensational effort from distance to give NYCFC an advantage before Brenner later equalized.
"We're pleased with the point because we were three-nil down, but we also know that this is not the game that we want," he said. "We want more control, we don't want to give teams a three-nil head start, But the spirit of the group, the heart of our group, that togetherness, just shows that they won't be beaten and they're not going to lie down."
"Even when we missed the penalty that could have taken the life out of us, but it didn't, it just spurred us on. Of course it was a crazy game that had a little bit of everything, but after two days rest I think we should be pleased maybe with a point."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2022
- Chicago Fire FC Defeats First-Place Philadelphia Union 1-0 on Wednesday at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls in Penalties to Orlando City in the Quarterfinal Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
- Brenner's Hat Trick Highlights 4-4 Draw with New York City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City SC Advances to U.S. Open Cup Semifinal Following Shootout Win over Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Blanks Philadelphia Union - Philadelphia Union
- Cushing Reaction: "Maxi Moralez Was Exceptional." - New York City FC
- Match Recap: FC Cincinnati 4-4 NYCFC - New York City FC
- Neville Expresses Excitement over Corentin Jean Signing - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United Transfer Forward Adrien Hunou to Angers SCO - Minnesota United FC
- Revolution Academy U-19s Advance to the 2022 MLS NEXT Cup Semifinals - New England Revolution
- Keaton Parks Undergoes Surgery for Lower Leg Blood Clot - New York City FC
- Red Bulls Set for Thursday Night Battle with Atlanta United FC at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Finishes Five-Match Home Stand against CF Montréal on Wednesday Evening - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew Signs Columbus Crew 2 Forward Jacen Russell-Rowe - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Acquire General Allocation Money in Exchange for Homegrown Priority to Jacen Russell-Rowe - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs French Attacker Corentin Jean - Inter Miami CF
- Injury Report: Two Miss Cincy Trip - New York City FC
- Force Mistakes: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Domenico Criscito - Toronto FC
- THREE POINTS: Houston Dynamo FC Travel to Oregon for Midweek Clash with Timbers - Houston Dynamo FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- Kevin O'Toole: from SuperDraft to the Starting XI
- Etihad Player of the Month: Santiago Rodríguez Lands September Award
- Venue Confirmed for New York City Football Club Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs First-Round MatchÃÂ
- Five Points: Beauty and the Beast
- Comeback Win Ices Home Field