Crew signs midfielder Stanley Nyazamba to developmental contract
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus Crew announced today that it has signed Zimbabwean midfielder Stanley Nyazamba to a developmental contract. Per club and league policy, no further terms of the deal were disclosed. Nyazamba fills the developmental roster slot opened after the Crew waived defender Ryan Miller.
The 25 year-old Bulawayo, Zimbabwe native joins the Crew after completing his first professional season with the Richmond Kickers (USL-2), where he quickly became one of the Kickers' top scorers, tallying eight goals and two assists in his rookie season. Nyazamba finished third on the team in scoring and also finished in the top 10 in goals and points in the USL-2 and garnered the USL-2 Rookie of the Year award following the 2008 campaign.
Prior to his stint with Richmond, Nyazamba played collegiately at Lee University with fellow Crew teammate Ricardo Pierre-Louis. The three-time All-Conference First Team honoree earned a place on the 2007 All-American First Team and was named a NAIA All-American Scholar Athlete in his senior season. During his tenure at Lee, the Flames posted a record of 53-14-2 and made two NAIA National Tournament appearances. Adding 12 goals and 20 assists his senior year, the Zimbabwean midfielder finished with 28 goals and 60 assists in his college career, good for first place all-time among Lee's career assist leaders. Nyazamba also played for the Cape Cod Crusaders of the PDL in 2007, where he recorded four assists in 14 appearances.
Defender Ryan Miller was in his first season with the Black & Gold, after being selected by the Crew in the third round (No. 31 overall) of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft out of Notre Dame. Miller appeared in seven games, with four starts for the Crew Reserve squad this season, but had yet to make his first-team debut.
Founded by American sports pioneer Lamar Hunt, the Columbus Crew is Ohio's Major League Soccer club, anchoring a diverse sports and entertainment enterprise. One of the league's Charter Members and U.S. Open Cup champion in 2002, it is currently in its 13th season overall and 10th in first-of-its-kind Columbus Crew Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2008
- Red Bull Arena Construction Update - New York Red Bulls
- New England to face Colorado - New England Revolution
- Crew signs midfielder Stanley Nyazamba to developmental contract - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Sign Midfielder Kwame Sarkodie - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- New York Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Matthew Mbuta - New York Red Bulls
- Red Bulls Midfielder Dave Van Den Bergh To Undergo Hernia Surgery - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face the Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Forward Edward Opoku on Loan
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts FC Dallas at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Defender Alex Crognale on Loan
- Columbus Crew SC's Waylon Francis, Justin Meram and Aboubacar Keita Receive International Call-Ups