Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis and Assistant Coach Robert Warzycha Return for 2004
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Thursday, November 13) - Crew President/General Manager Jim Smith announced today that the club has exercised the option year on the contracts of Head Coach Greg Andrulis and Assistant Coach Robert Warzycha for the 2004 season.
"Following a comprehensive, top-to-bottom review of the 2003 season with our ownership group, we are pleased to announce that Greg and Robert will be Crew coaches for the 2004 season," said Smith. "We continue to believe that they are well-suited to lead the Columbus Crew and provide us the greatest opportunity to succeed at this time. It has been well documented that we experienced an unlikely succession of setbacks during a disappointing 2003 campaign, but neither the coaches nor the players ever gave up on the season or wavered in their commitment to each other. That environment of mutual respect, which Greg and Robert were instrumental in creating, is the foundation of a successful team and we look forward to bigger and better things in 2004."
Andrulis will be returning for his third full season at the helm of The Crew. He took over the team seven games into the 2001 season, replacing Tom Fitzgerald. Andrulis has a 33-28-17 MLS regular season record for Columbus, and guided the 2002 squad to the U.S. Open Cup championship and one game shy of MLS Cup. He also has a 6-2 record in Open Cup play and a 2-3-2 mark in the MLS playoffs.
"I am pleased to return to finish the job that is undone," said Andrulis. "And that is to lead the Columbus Crew to the MLS Cup in 2004."
Warzycha will return for his second full year as a full-time assistant coach. He was a player/assistant coach in 2001, his final season on the field for the Black & Gold. Warzycha ended his Crew career with 19 goals and 61 assists for 99 points in 160 games.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2003
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez Named To U.S. Under-20 Team For FIFA World Youth Championship - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dallas Burn To Return To Cotton Bowl For 2004 MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Bobby Convey and Santino Quaranta to Take On the World - D.C. United
- Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis and Assistant Coach Robert Warzycha Return for 2004 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2019 Team Award Winners
- U.S. Soccer Will Add Additional Seats for USA vs. Sweden in Columbus, Ohio on November 7
- Columbus Crew SC's Luis Diaz and Eloy Room Receive International Call-Ups
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Toronto FC on Sunday
- Columbus Crew SC's Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes Receive International Call-Ups