Crew acquires Barclay from United
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Friday, January 30) - Columbus Crew President and General Manager Jim Smith announced today that The Crew has acquired forward/midfielder Devin Barclay from D.C. United in exchange for future considerations.
"This is a great opportunity, and a great organization," said Barclay. "I am very excited. I want to step in and hopefully make an impression. I've always been an admirer of the organization and seen it as the best when it comes to the fans and the effort the team always gives on the field."
The 20-year-old Annapolis, Md., native has registered three goals and two assists in 38 league appearances (15 starts) over his three-year MLS career with Tampa Bay, San Jose and D.C. He has also appeared in one playoff game.
"We're excited to have Devin join the team," said Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis. "He is a very versatile young player who we think still has a bright future. He can play any of the attacking positions and he gives us depth where we need it."
As a rookie, Barclay scored three goals and added two assists in 23 games with the Mutiny. The Nike Project-40 signee was originally acquired by Tampa Bay in the second round (14th overall) of the 2001 SuperDraft before being selected 9th overall by the Earthquakes in the MLS Dispersal Draft in January 2002. He was acquired by D.C. in the 2003 MLS SuperDraft. Barclay has also represented the United States National Team at the U-23, U-20 and U-18 levels. Barclay is expected to join The Crew at the start of February when the team reports for camp.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2004
- Trio Of Burn Players To Represent USA In CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament - FC Dallas
- Crew to head to Florida, Spain and South Carolina for 2004 spring training - Columbus Crew SC
- Milton Reyes Called Up to Honduras National Team - D.C. United
- Wizards Announce Partnership with Huw Williams Soccer Camps - Sporting Kansas City
- Galaxy's Lewis to represent USA in CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Crew acquires Barclay from United - Columbus Crew SC
- United Makes Roster Moves - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named to 2018 Major League Soccer Best XI
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Red Bull Arena Tomorrow to Face the New York Red Bulls in Leg 2
- Four Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC's Gyasi Zardes Named Major League Soccer's 2018 Comeback Player of the Year
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen Named Major League Soccer's 2018 MLS Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year