COYOTES TO CELEBRATE HOCKEY IS FOR EVERYONE NIGHT ON FEB. 1 VERSUS DALLAS
GLENDALE, ARIZONA - The Arizona Coyotes announced today that the team will celebrate the National Hockey League's Hockey is for Everyone™ campaign on Thursday, February 1 when the Coyotes take on the Dallas Stars at 7 p.m. at Gila River Arena.
The NHL has designated February as Hockey is for Everyone month to reaffirm that the official policy of the sport is one of inclusion on the ice, in our dressing rooms and in the stands. Across the League, NHL Clubs will demonstrate that hockey provides a positive environment for players, families and fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, and for those with disabilities.
The Hockey is for Everyone campaign is a joint initiative between the NHL and NHL Players' Association which celebrates hockey's growing diversity. As part of the campaign, all 31 NHL Clubs will be represented by a Hockey is for Everyone Player Ambassador; a leader in the dressing room and in the community who believes in and advocates for diversity, equality, respect and inclusion. Coyotes' Assistant Captain Oliver Ekman-Larsson will serve as the team's ambassador for this initiative.
As part of the evening, Lyndsey Fry, who represented the United States Women's National Team at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, will take part in the ceremonial puck drop. Fry, who was born in Mesa, AZ and grew up in Chandler, AZ, has been a member of Team USA since 2009. The Coyotes will also recognize, pay tribute and celebrate the following groups/individuals throughout the game:
The Phoenix Coyotes Sled Hockey Team - A hockey program for those with physical disabilities including some military personnel. Mission Special Edition - A hockey program for children with special needs. One Step Bobcats - A hockey program for adults with special needs. The Foundation for Blind Children - An organization that provides education, tools and services to enable all persons with vision loss to achieve greater independence. Little Howlers -The Coyotes hockey program for kids 5-9 years old. Small Fry's - The Coyotes hockey program for young girls led by Lyndsey Fry. Willie O'Ree - The first black player in the NHL, who is celebrating his 60thanniversary since breaking the color barrier.
The Coyotes will also support the You Can Play Project, a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, particularly for those within the LGBTQ community. You Can Play works to guarantee that athletes are given a fair opportunity to compete, judged by other athletes and fans alike only by what they contribute to the sport or their team's success.
Several Coyotes players will use Pride Tape on their sticks during pre-game warm-up to show their support for the You Can Play initiative and to represent their support for Hockey is for Everyone.
In addition, Coyotes goaltender Antti Raanta will wear a specially designed mask for the game to promote the Hockey Is For Everyone initiative and the You Can Play program. The mask, along with a post-game meet and greet with Raanta, will be auctioned off at the game that night. All proceeds will go to the Arizona Coyotes Foundation. The mask was designed by David Gunnarsson.
For Coyotes ticket information, please visit ArizonaCoyotes.com or call 480-563-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2018
- Manitoba Moose Moose Launch 2018 Stick to Reading Campaign - Manitoba Moose
- Rangers Assign Dan Catenacci to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Mitchell Stephens Named 2018 AHL All-Star - Syracuse Crunch
- AMERKS RECALL DANFORTH FROM CINCINNATI - Rochester Americans
- COMETS VOICE ANDY ZILCH TO ADD TO EXTENSIVE COVERAGE OF AHL ALL-STAR CLASSIC - Utica Comets
- Extensive Coverage on Tap for 2018 AHL All-Star Classic this Weekend - AHL
- Crunch Surge for 3-2 Win over Rocket - Syracuse Crunch
- Dansk Returns & Garrison Recalled - Chicago Wolves
- TURGEON RECALLED, BOOTH ASSIGNED BY DETROIT - Grand Rapids Griffins
- COYOTES TO CELEBRATE HOCKEY IS FOR EVERYONE NIGHT ON FEB. 1 VERSUS DALLAS - Tucson Roadrunners
- JETS RECALL POOLMAN FROM THE MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- Manitoba Moose Appleton Added to All-Star Roster - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Roadrunners Stories
- Coyotes Sign Bunting, Dauphin, Fasching and Murphy
- Coyotes Acquire Hinostroza, Oesterle, Hossa and 2019 Third Round Draft Choice from Chicago
- Roadrunners' Summer in Swing with Signings, Schedule, Community Project
- Roadrunners Sign Maggio to One-Year Contract
- Roadrunners Announce 2018-19 Schedule