Cottonmouths Bite IceGators in Opening Playoff Game
Lafayette, LouisianaThe Louisiana IceGators woes have followed the team into the postseason. Despite playing a strong first period and outshooting their opponent 30-23, the IceGators stumbled in the second period en route to a 4-2 loss to the Columbus Cottonmouths. Columbus leads the best-of-three-game series 1-0. The second game in the series will be played Thursday night in Columbus. It is scheduled to begin at 7:35 P.M.
"I thought it was a very good game," said IceGators head coach Kevin Kaminski. "I thought we played a very solid first period." He added, "I thought our guys fought through hooks and holds and worked relentlessly. They kept their feet moving, yet it was frustrating that we didn't get a better outcome."
The Cottonmouths struck first when Sam Bowles scored off of a Peter MacDougall feed at the 9:26 mark of the first period. The IceGators responded seven minutes later when Shawn McNeil evened the score. The Cottonmouths pulled away early in the second period. MacDougall scored a goal of his own three minutes into the frame. Orrin Hergott added his own score 37 seconds later to give Columbus a 3-1 lead. The IceGators pulled within a goal on a Sean Murray score midway through the third. However, the Cottonmouths would ice the game thanks to Greg Beller's goal just a few minutes later.
Kaminski remarked that his team must be composed against Columbus Thursday night. "This is a team that you have to be patient against," he said. "If you're not 100-percent sure, you have to accept the rush." He continued, "Instead of the pinch, you have to back out and not take the odd-man rush. Those are the pinches and turnovers that cost you. That's where you have to have discipline."
Playoff tickets and 2012-2013 season tickets are on sale now. For more information, call 337-704-4423 or visit www.icegators.com. All road playoff games can be viewed online at www.americaone.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2012
- Cottonmouths Bite IceGators in Opening Playoff Game - Louisiana IceGators
- RiverKings Take Part in Desoto County Junior Auxiliary's "Healthy Today, Healthy Tomorrow" Fair - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverHawks' Gehring, Snetsinger Named First Team All-Stars - Augusta RiverHawks
- Ice Bears Earn Three First Team All-SPHL Selections - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Cottonmouths Week in Review - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Goaltender Steve Christie Returns to Ice Flyers for Playoffs - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Ice Bears, RiverHawks Head All-SPHL First Team - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.